Re: pain and heat

Wed Dec 13 17:05:02 2000

<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>On 13 Dec 2000, at 15:25, jackie burgess wrote:

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>I think i may have a kink in the bowel but how would i know apart from me having to be on morphine and the incredible sickness lethargy and well you all know the rest, but how will i know for sure<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>

<FontFamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>why does alchohol seem to help with severe pain ???????????

Jackie,

If you have a kink the the small bowel, it should appear on an upper

GI series with a small bowel follow-through. Bowel obstruction can be both partial -- things are getting through but with difficulty -- and complete. Complete bowel obstruction is a pretty clear medical emergency: just like when you have a clog in the plumbing. You will eventually begin to vomit, the pain will be strong and crampy.

Partial obstructions are less obvious. There is pain, sometimes vomiting, abdominal tenderness, sometimes gas and diarrhea.

If you are having warm spots on your abdomen, you need some medical evaluation of them because one of the things that can happen with bowel obstruction is infection. Do you have a temperature?

If you are taking morphine or other pain relievers, DON"T mix with alcohol!!!! Even if it helps.

Of course, not all adhesion pain is due to bowel obstruction --- but it is important to rule it out.

This spring when I was having partial obstructions, they appeared as dilated bowel on CT-scan and x-rays. I had pain and some vomiting. This summer when the bowel kinked and obstructed completely, there was no question that it was a serious medical emergency. I vomited huge amounts of fluid and undigested food and had severe pain that became cramping. I went to the ER, had an NG tube put in, was observed for a little over a day, and when the pain increased, had surgery.

What does the doctor say?

Kate<FontFamily><param>Times New Roman</param><bigger>

<nofill> Kate Murphy katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: