Re: lysis verses excise

Sat Nov 18 21:17:33 2000

Jaynie, I have had 17 barium enemas (since the age of 13) and 5 colonoscopies. Results always normal, but dx of spastic colon, or ibs). Each time I switched doctors, each time the new doc would request barium enema or colonoscopy.The barium enemas were so painful. I finally had the guts to say stop during the last one. I too will never agree to another barium enema as long as I live!

I had severe endo in my cul-de-sac (as well as many other spots) and I think the pain from the enema was caused by that. I had an appt with a new gi doctor 2 weeks ago, she told me she I had a partial bowel obstruction, she could tell from my symptoms and manual exam. She told me another gi test would only aggravate my condition and cause me pain. I felt like hugging her! I was so grateful she didn't order up the regular barage of tests. She told me the warning signs of total blockage were high fever, vomiting, extension of abdomen.

You are still so soon after surgery, I hope that things correct themselves and you find some relief soon.

--
suzanne

At Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Jaynie Jarvis wrote: > >At Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Kate Murphy wrote: >> >>On 15 Nov 2000, at 10:34, Jaynie Jarvis wrote: >>>I talked to him today because I think I have a >>> blockage. If you don't have a temp. and extreme nausea I guess you >>> don't have a blockage ? What do you think girls and boys. I have very >>> bad pain in my right side and diahrea. It really hurts. I can't do >>> anything. He said my intestines were stuck everywhere and to each other >>> and I had a kink. >> >>Could well be a partial blockage -- diarrhea is allowing some >>material through, but the intestines themselves may be dilated. >> >>A CT-scan or a small bowel followthrough upper GI series can >>show partial blockage. Complete blockage usually involves severe >>pain and extreme vomiting. >> >>Many of these partial blockages will resolve themselves but may re- >>form. If you think you are getting them, be super careful with what >>you are eating. >> >>Another possibility for treating blockage is a NG tube -- this gives >>the bowel time to rest and the inflammation to go down. >> >>Surgery can help -- for about as long as it takes for new adhesion >>to form. I had surgery for partial blockage in June, complete >>blockage in August, and have new pain and signs of difficulty now. >>Surgery included all the fancy stuff to avoid new adhesions and >>removal of lots of badly scarred bowel. >> >>I am treating myself with careful eating, ibuprofen three times a day >>for inflammation, and lots of water. I am very serious about >>avoiding additional surgery or complete blockage again. It is NO >>FUN at all, including an NG tube in the ER in the middle of the >>night. >> >>Kate >> >>-- >>Kate Murphy >>katemm@mindspring.com >> >Kate, you got me scared now! I told my husband last year that bowel >problems was next or me. Then loosing part of y owel. I wasn't sure if >it just would die off or from scare tissue. Does it die off from scar >tissue not letting enough blood to the area? What is a NG ? I think I >can guess what the other is. I once had a barium enema and it hurt >horribly and showed nothing. I will never if my life depended on it >have another.Tanks Jaynie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: