> Kate, you got me scared now! I told my husband last year that bowel
> problems was next or me. Then loosing part of y owel. I wasn't sure if
> it just would die off or from scare tissue. Does it die off from scar
> tissue not letting enough blood to the area? What is a NG ? I think I
> can guess what the other is. I once had a barium enema and it hurt
> horribly and showed nothing. I will never if my life depended on it
> have another.Tanks Jaynie

Jaynie,

I'm sorry to scare you. Just take a deep breath and realize that you can cope with more than you think you can.

I have had cancer surgery that removed about 2/3 of my large bowel (colon). I still have excellent control of my bowels.

This summer I had a piece of small bowel removed because it was badly scarred and another piece removed because it was kinked and obstructed. This was difficult surgery, but not impossible.

My adhesions are from a number of abdominal surgeries -- I don't know how often bowel obstruction occurs from endometriosis or other adhesion-causing disease.

The first x-ray study usually done if bowel obstruction is suspected is a CT-scan, then an upper-GI series with small bowel followthrough. The CT-scan is completely painless as is the upper GI. I've had several barium enemas that didn't hurt much either.

However, if you've had a bad experience with barium enema, let the doctor know. There are ways that you can be sedated during tests. I once felt that I would die rather than have another colonoscopy -- and the reality is that I might indeed do that. I was terrified of the pain.

I now have my colonoscopies done under anesthesia with a very narrow pediatric scope. These things can be done.

However, don't worry about what might happen in the future. It wastes energy and makes you feel awful. Deal with today. It's a lot easier.

Kate

--
Kate Murphy
katemm@mindspring.com

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: