Re: update....pain clinic today

Sat Nov 11 06:42:16 2000

At Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Mary Wade wrote: Mary,

I don't think it was mentioned that it was going to be about "our" story. It was a documentary on nerve blocks and maybe their story.

It sure sounds like they were having lots of pain and problems and found some relief through their treatment of choice. Maybe that treatment would help someone else.

The public would still get an education about adhesions and the all the problems they cause. The topic may not be addressed from the direction you want but at least it is being address.

--
Donna

>Donna > >The reason that this struck a nerve with me was the last paragraph in the >post. Many on this board have attempted to attract media attention to the >problems we share. I have not been one of those. Finally, it appeared >that here was one among us who has access to the media through her >employment. I would find it unfortunate if her own successful experience >would be presented in a manner that would highlight that experience as the >norm. I certainly did not question the truthfulness of her own experience. > I apologize for writing it in a way that suggested that. I do, however, >want to put in a loud plug for a balanced story, if there is to be a story >about adhesions in the media. My reaction was not written as a response to >just another everyday post on here. I was reacting to the way that I >perceived that "our" story was going to be told. It's not a simple story. > My problems seem small when compared to the plights of some on this board. > My protective mother-bear instinct kicks in when I consider of their years >of unrelieved pain. Hope this explanation helps to clarify my seemingly >harsh attitude. Mary > >Mary > >I find it interesting that you say how glad you are that this worked for >them but that you feel for this to be posted certain points need >clarification and it must be truthful. Why would you assume they were >lying. > >It is one persons experience. They took the time and effort to write it >down and share with suggestions,procedures, and outcome on what worked >for them. Lighten up this was not a scientific study looking for FDA >approval it was one persons positive experience. > >Donna > >I found it very informative and was appreciative of the time it took. >>I wrote the previous email and then thought of other points of >clarification >>that are needed. >> >>At 01:07 AM 11/10/00 -0600, you wrote: >>> i am glad that i was reading my mail tonight and have time to answer >>> your questions about nerve blocks and trigger points. yes..... >>> yes.... they work very well. >> >>It is wonderful that you had good success in treating your pain. But that >>raises some important questions. Do these treatments work well >universally >>for pain caused by adhesions or they worked well for your specific >disorder? >>Where is the documentation in the medical literature that these methods >work >>well for pain caused by adhesions? >> >>i have had pelvic pain, kidney pain, >>> and have headaches on a daily basis. i was living at the >>> hospital more than at home and the quality of my life was not the >>> greatest. i would suggest that you check out your doctor very >>> carefully. >> >>How did you do this? What suggestions for this do you have? >> >>i have also had epidurals for pain, but the nerve blocks >>> are much better. i was lucky to find a wonderfull doctor and his >>> staff at touro hospital in new orleans. they have a pain treatment >>> plan that i have seen miracles take place there. >> >>"Miracles?" For our disorder? Does calling a treatment a "miracle," if >>there is lack of scientific evidence, meet the standards needed for good >>journalism? I followed this board over a period of time and learned the >>case histories of individuals here. They are real people. They are brave >>people who have been doctored and doctored, some of us for years. Pain >>clinics have been a part of our lives. This is the first pain clinic >>"miracle" for our disorder that I have read about on this board. I >believe >>that pain clinics with trigger injections and blocks have given most of us >a >>measure of help but that help has been far from miraculous. Using a >>journalistic broad brush to paint a "miracle" mirage is not good science. >> >>> i would discuss with your doctor where he trained and what kind of >>> medicine he will be injecting. they use different medicines in >>> the injections for different patients. the idea of the blocks are >>> to break the pain cycle. >> >>How would you describe the concept of "pain cycle"? >> >>you are usually numb in the area that is >>> injected. this last for different times for different people. >>> the injections are given over a period of time and you build up >>> to a level that works for you. you can never judge yourself with >>> anyone else. >>> >>> the other thing you need to do is physical therapy if you are >>> not doing so at this time. stretching is great. i never watch tv >>> now unless i am exercising at the same time. you may try >>>relaxation, and deep breathing. if you are not exercising because >>> of the pain .... and i know that it sound crazy but the things >>> i have listed here are only part of getting relief from pain. >> >>This is working for you and your pain. Those of us who have faithfully >done >>exercising and PT through our pain for years can say, "it's probably >better >>than not exercising but does it relieve our pain? Very little." Please, >if >>you are doing a truthful story and building that story only on individual >>experiences, have the courage to get individual experiences from the other >>side of the story. >> >>> back to the nerve blocks. i am sure there are different ways >>> they are given. dr morse at touro and his staff use a very >>> thin needle that is bendable. the injections do not hurt if >>> you will relax. and it is hard to do when you see what this >>> long thin needle looks like. he goes into my lower back 3 inches >>> on either side. all of this is measured before hand and marked >>> with a marker. i then turn over and he injects into the groin. >>> the needle only goes in right under the surface very gentle >>> and the area is numb as soon as the medicine is injected. >>> this is how it works on me but every patient is different. >>> dr morse does the blocks 3 times a week. they work so well that >>> all of the patients with every kind of pain you can imagine try >>> to get in first. >>> i have no idea where you are from, but you may want to call touro >>> infirmary in new orleans and ask for the pain unit on the 4th floor. >>> the staff is the best and they will be happy to answer any of your >>> questions. >>> >>> i host and produce tv programs and i am working on a documentary >>> about nerve block treatments. >>> >>> good luck >>> >-- >Donna >

--
Donna

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: