Re: keeping my job

Thu Oct 26 18:11:50 2000

Hi Verna:

I know how you feel about missing work. I had ruptured appendix with complications in 1997 and was off for 3 months. I finally built up my sick time and then had to have exploratory surgery this July. Used all of my sick time again and am on unpaid leave. My employers are very understanding but it still bothers me not to work. The surgery in July was a waste of time. Dr. thought it was a tumor and turned out to be adhesions all over from 97 surgery and a cyst of fluid formed by the adhesions. All the surgeon did was drain the fluid. Needless to say, it filled up again in 2 weeks with return of severe pain and nausea. I need pain meds and only get some relief by lying down.

I am having surgery in Scranton in November and hope to be back to work by the first of the year. Luckly we do have a disability policy that I am eligible for after 90 days of being off. (just started this month)

I think it is an advantage that your employer allows you to do some work at home. My job can't be done at home. Maybe your employer will allow you to go on an alternate work schedule by working only a few hours in the office and doing the rest at home. That way you don't have to worry about getting up early when you have a bad night.

I wish you well and hope you find some relief. It is a very tough situation to be in. It is easy to get frustrated and depressed about everything--pain, finances, not being able to enjoy life. It's nice to know that we have a forum to discuss all of these issues.

Take care,

--
Kathy L.

At Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Verna Cohen wrote: > >Hi Gang, > >First of all.........best of luck to all of those having sugery soon. >My thoughts will be with you all and I will hope and pray for each of >you that we'll soon be hearing wonderful reports of speedy recoveries >and painfree life. Special thoughts to Sherry Marie and Anne Hayashi. >Anne...thanks so much for all your input. I will be thinking great >thoughts for you and hope to hear from you again once you are back home. > >Now.....my question. How many of you continue to work throughout your >ordeals with adhesions? I am a fulltime salaried office manager for in >the recreation field. This past month I have taken more sick days than >I've worked and my available sick days are dwindling down. Just today I >initiated a conversation about that with my boss. He says he is fine >with everything thus far. I still manage to get all my work done, I >take work home when needed, (the good ole couch office) but I still >worry. It is becoming more of a struggle to concentrate of my work, a >struggle to get ready in the morning when all I want to do is lay down. >I'm really worried about how long I can continue this way. > >If I quit or lose my job I would lose my insurance after the one year >COBRA period. I've worked at this job for 13 years and to this point >feel very stable and secure in my position but lately.......gee I >wouldn't blame them for wanting someone new. > >Monday I'll be taking another day off again for another (most likely >unsuccessful) barium enema test. I've been reading the ongoing debate >about PT and accupuncture/pressure etc. My doctor is now suggesting >these treatments. $ is always a factor. I just feel at such a >crossroads but so weary that I can't seem to forge on in any direction. > >So I'm curious to know how many others are dealing with the work >situation like I am. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. > >Hugs to all, >Verna

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: