Re: My Appointment

Wed Oct 25 10:26:36 2000

Hi Toni

Thank you so much for replying to my message - you say that you have constipation. My doc told me that he thought I had chronic constipation but he seemed to talk about it as though it was separate from the adhesions. I have regular motions but often experience quite a bit of pain when going to the bathroom (low abdo) I also have intermittent low left sided pain that is crampy/pulling sensation and it is this pain that becomes more severe when going to the bathroom. (this is different to the pain I experienced with the partial b/o's). I was tender over (he tells me) the ascending and descending colon areas hence the diagnosis of constipation. To be truthful I was a bit offended at this diagnosis and thought he was being a little dismissive of my symptoms but having seen the messages posted here it seems many of you with adhesions also have this problem. He wants me to take a combo of laxatives and see him again in two months. In the meantime he has ordered a blood tests to check for a range of things from IBD to anaemia. He says if the pain gets worse with the laxatives I have IBS (but he considers this unlikely - already tried antispasmodals (sp) from GP which didn't do a thing). If it goes away then its constipation, if its the same then he wants to do a barium enema and a colonoscopy (lovely - even better than the rectal exam this time - uhhh!). I have very mixed feeling about this part of the appointment - if its just constipation then so what - why not just let it be, I really don't want to start on the laxatives route. If it isn't I really can't handle the thought of a barium/colonoscopy. At the moment I just have his letter to my GP etc in my pocket - I wish the whole thing would just go away! It was really good to hear from someone else in the same boat - not that I would wish these problems on you! Do my doctors comments sound reasonable. Is it normal to have constipation with adhesions? I felt he was tellling me I couldn't be eating a healthy diet - which is ironic because I love veg/salads/fruit... and am pretty hot on eating the right foods etc.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: