Re: How do I prevent them from coming back?

Tue Oct 24 21:37:02 2000

I also would love more info on PT for adhesions... I would be willing to try it as I've had wonderful success with PT for tendonitis, but adhesions is a far cry from tennis elbow. My argument would be with the 'heat' treatment. Over the summer I tried sitting in a Hot Tub thinking the heat would help my pain. Boy, was I wrong! Apparently, the heat caused more swelling! I ended up in so much pain I had to go to bed in the middle of the day which was a bummer being that I was on vacation. I took some Anti-Inflammatory NSAID Medication and just layed there until the pain eased. I was absolutely miserable! Never again will I try heat to relieve the pain. And I've also tried Yoga stretches and Pilates. They both seem to aggravate the condition. It feels like the pulling reinjures the tissue... I would love to find an exercise or stretch that helps instead of hurts.... if PT can help, then I'm all for it... but I have to say, I'm skeptical. Would love more specific info.....

--
Joyce

At Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Bernie and Beverly Doucette wrote: > >Please send substantiating information as to how PT can soften adhesion >tissue? > >Adhesions are located deep within the abdomen and many surround the >intestines, as time goes by the adhesion tissue toughens thus constricts the >intestine or pulls other attached organs out of position more and more, how >can PT help in that process? >How does a therepist massage adhesion on the bowel? What about in the deep >abdomen? There ia the large thick rectus muscle as well as a layer of fatty >tissue between the surface of the abdomen and the adhesions, how are the >adhesions massaged? > >A TENS unit is a nerve stimulator, how would that be of benefit on adhesion >tissue as there is no nerves in adhesion tissue? And where would a TENS be >placed on a person for abdominal adhesions, as without a laporoscopic >surgery, it is unknown where the adhesion are and what they are attached to? > >Excersise that cause pulling of the organs that adhesions are connected to >will increase inflamation thus pain, if a person cannot bend or sit for long >due to the intestines not being able to move up and to the back of that >person becasue they are attched to the peritoneum ( inner abdominal wall ) >wouldn't excersise create even more pain? At times even movement while >riding in a car can cause pain simply from the motion of the moving vehicle. > >Are there brochures or information on these treatmenst? What has the history >been as far as success? How is this success tracked if there is statistics >on PT & Adhesion disease? > >Have you seen adhesion of the bowel or pelvis? > >It is imarative that comments of this nature be substantiated for those who >are desperatly looking for medical intervetion and it is also important for >them not to pay money they do not have in treatments that will be >ineffective for this disease...it is my opinion that PT will not help >adhesion sufferers other then to empty the pocket books. BUT...show me >proof of all that was discribed here and I will be very willing to research >it. > >Your new here, and we are happy that it worked for you, Paula, and who did >your surgery? How many surgeries have you had and how may years have you >suffered with adhesions? Did you have endo as well my dear? Thank-you for >sharing this and we look forward to hearing more on this and answers to >these questions as well. > >Sincerely yours >Beverly

>>----- Original Message ----- >From: ZIMLICKI,PAULA M <MKT-PMZ@womans.com> >To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> >Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 12:10 PM >Subject: Re: How do I prevent them from coming back? > >> I suffer from adhesions due to so much abdominal surgery. I had one >surgery >> for the adhesions, which I always found ironic since surgery is what >caused >> them in the first place! The second time the adhesions began giving me >lots >> of pain I tried physical therapy, and it worked. The pain was so severe >that >> it woke me up whenever I turned over at night. It's important to get a >> physical therapist who has received specific training in abdominal >> adhesions. The American Physical Therapy Association, which has a website, >> can give you information as to whether a PT in your area is available. I >> encourage all of you to try this. Through the use of ultrasound, scar >> massage, heat, TENS unit, and exercises tailored toward the adhesions, I >was >> spared another abdominal surgery. The PT treatment does not get rid of the >> adhesions but can soften them enough so that they don't cause the pain. It >> spared me another abdominal surgery! I would be glad to answer any >> questions. >> >> Paula M. Zimlicki >> >> mkt-pmz@womans.com >> >> > -----Original Message----- >> > From: acinom@primenet.com [SMTP:acinom@primenet.com] >> > Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2000 9:09 PM >> > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS >> > Subject: How do I prevent them from coming back? >> > >> > Hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this site tonight, I have yet to join >> > the forum, but I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have endo, I >> > had 2 laps in 99, and I have another one scheduled for October 30th. >> > Each of the last times they found more problems with the surgical >> > adhesions from an appendectomy back in 88 with minimal endo. The amount >> > that came back in just 4 months was amazing. Well, the pain is back, >> > and again I suspect it to be adhesions rather than endo, but who is to >> > know for sure which is causing the pain since I have both problems? I >> > dont want to take Lupron or any other hormonal treatment other than >> > bcp's particularly because I fear the big problem is the adhsions so why >> > mess with endo drugs if that isnt the issue? Anyway, my questions for >> > you are these: >> > Have any of you tried Acupuncture? Either to relieve pain or to keep >> > adhesions from reforming (is this possible?) >> > Is there anything I can do after this surgery to retard the growth of >> > this stuff? >> > Please email me at acinom@primenet.com if you can be of any assistance. >> > I appreciate it more than you can imagine! >> > I hope this finds you all pain free and blessed with love and laughter >> > *HUGS* >> > Monica >> > >>

--
Joyce

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: