Re: Dr Korell and Nerves......re-posted for Bev.

Sat Oct 21 20:42:46 2000

At Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Bernie and Beverly Doucette wrote:

Hello Mary...and all!!

I couldn't resist playing through here when I read your kind thoughts for all of us heading off to Germany! First of all....they don't serve any ice in Germany!! Few and far between can you find ice, BUT most of the beverages there are served warm and without ice. The cafeteria in the hospital does have an ice machine...but ice is not served to the hospital rooms! And the water is served carbonated. YES!! Like drinking a warm alka seltzer everywhere you go...so Mary Pomroy and I had to ask for ''WASSAR from Faucette"...or actually go point it out to whomever it was we were trying to get water from!! But NO ice chips my dear...that is a dream!!

BUT...Bev to the rescue, Lynne...

After running hundreds of trips from Mary's room to the cafeteria for ice cubes in little tea pots...and taking them back to her room...I spotted a coffee carafe sitting on a table on the unit. It was empty; so I motioned to a cook that I would like to take THAT and fill it with ice so I wouldn't have to make so many " ice runs." She smiled and nodded okay!! ( She probably was impressed at my ingenuity as well...and rightfully so!!! :-)

I hurried off to the cafeteria...carafe in hand...happy!! Very pleased with myself too! When I walked into the cafeteria, the food service person already knew what " this lady " wanted; and when I held up a BIG pot for ice, she smiled knowingly; and I could see by her expression she knew she was looking at one smart American. She probably was thinking that we sure are smart people, very ingenius!!

I walked over to the metal counter with my head held high. The room was filled with people, patients, Drs, visitors...you name it...they were there!! I knew they were all probably thinking this was a no big deal thing going on; but the cook and I knew it was a break-through in the ice fetching business!!

She walked toward that big old thermos-lined coffee carafe with a big scoop and filled it with ICE CUBES!! We both watched with pride as she started to dump the ice into that carafe...and then BOOM!!! It blew up! She ran one way, I the other. It sounded like someone shot a gun through the room - as that pot was metal and it was sitting on a metal counter as well.

Everyone everywhere was standing up looking our way!! She and I slowly walked over to that pot; and with our heads, all but fused together, we peered inside to find a mess of glass and ice. Then we started to laugh so hard; and people came over to look in that STUPID hot coffee pot! No one told me it had just been used for hot water upstairs and that it was still hot!!! Maybe they did; but I don't understand German!!

Nonetheless...I had to go back upstairs with those three puny tea pots filled with ice; AND return a broken coffee carafe to the unit.

We have all heard that there is a lesson in all things that well...don't go as planned, shall we say. So when I returned home to Marinette, I called our hospital; and they have shipped a case of large water and ice cube containers to the Duisburg Medical Klinikum...for the bedsides of all our IAS members from now on!!!! I know where the ice is...and now I have the buckets to get it too!! Lynne, ask Dr. Korell for one as he has them in his office. But please leave it there for the next ones. Even though there is a case of them...better we leave them each time as well!!

And Mary, I will be able to send messages back to Pam & Bob Markford and they will post them for all to see.

And isn't it true, my friends...that distance, time nor space can stop our thoughts, feelings, concerns & love from traveling with each of us wherever we may go!

Thank-you Mary, and thank-you all of you for your words of encouragement for these courageous folks! I am sure GOD will allow healing for them; and when each one returns to their respective countries, may it be in the best of health for a wonderful future!

I thank all of them for allowing me and Paul Lewis to be a part of this " IAS Contingency " of travelers. From two years ago, when we had nothing but a few of us starting to " chat " with one another via Dr. Wiseman's monthly Chats...to this trip abroad...is definitely putting a dent in the world of Adhesion Related Disease...and it tells me that we will conquer this thing, folks. How can we not !!

What some of you may not know about this trip for life...is almost as exciting for all of us...is this: Helen Dynda, Anne Hayashi, Laura Newman and I have been Internet buds before there was an IAS. Paul ( and our dear departed Marian Lewis ) and Mary Pomroy have communicated with us for over a year now; and now we shall finally meet in what will be one of the greatest break-throughs for all of us. We may all beat this thing together. Talk about GOD in action!

As Laura says, " We are going, we are ALL going!!! HE sure can cook, that GOD can cook!!! "

May this story offer all of you, who think or feel it will never happen to you, the reality that...of course, it can happen for you; and it probabaly will...when you least expect it. Keep working towards getting your surgery with the most qualified surgeons in the world...Drs. Reich, Redan and Korell, as it stands now!

God Bless you all.. In friendship Bev

>----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Wade <acbcsrt@kansas.net> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 3:23 PM Subject: Re: Dr Korell and Nerves

Lynne and all the Germany travelers,

I get tears in my eyes as I anticipate your journeys. I don't post here much but read everything. As you go, a piece of each of us who "attend" this group, goes with you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers daily. A heroic bunch we have here. Do you think the German nurses who are with you would understand if....as you are waking up from the anesthesia.....if you said in English "Internet, iInternet...hook me up so I can write my news to my adhesions friends!" Alas, they'd probably just bring you ice chips instead.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: