GERD, hiatal hernia, and H. pylori...messages from the IAS Message Board...corrected

Mon Oct 9 14:47:56 2000

I have listed these messages in the order that they were entered on the IAS Message Board.

~ ~ ~ ~

1.) From: Helen Dynda (olddad66@runestone.net) January 04, 2000 9:15 PM

Bev, I suffered from GERD a few years ago. My symptoms presented as a burning pain in the central area of my chest. At the time, I actually thought the burning pain was heart-related; but thankfully I had a Physician Assistant who recognized what was causing the burning sensation and knew how to treat it. What was actually happening was stomach acid - which is very irritanting to the esophagus - was backing up into my lower esophagus. I am not too sure as to what caused this to happen in the first - perhaps being overweight had something to do with it. I know that it took several weeks of treatment before it no longer caused me problems.

Bev, I am concerned that you are not taking medication for this. I do remember the names of the medications I was prescribed for GERD - Prilosec and Propulsid. I will send my list about presciption medication sites to the Forum - and then you will be able to learn more about these medications, Prilosec and Propulsid.

~ ~ ~ ~

2.) From: Helen Dynda (olddad66@runestone.net) January 04, 2000 9:58 PM

As I started to read the information about Prilosec, I remembered that I was also being treated for H.pylori (Helicobacter) bacteria (a germ that "corkscrews" itself into the lining of the stomach).

In addition to the Prilosec and Propulsid I was also taking the antibiotic, Metronidazole. My P.A. mentioned that she was using "a triple therapy" for the GERD and the H.pylori.

Because of the severity of my situation, I think that it took me about 3 months of this triple therapy before I was the victor.

~ ~ ~ ~

3.) From: Helen Dynda (olddad66@runestone.net) January 05, 2000 9:03 PM

In reflecting about my experience with GERD, H. pylori, and a hiatal hernia, I was reminded about the time I volunteered for H. pylori research at the Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC). HCMC is a very large hospital in downtown Minneapolis. Since I live in a small town, I wouldn't have dared to go there by myself. My oldest daughter is a R.N. at HCMC; and she said she would take me there - so with her knowledge of the layout of the hospital, this made it easier for me to do this.

The research experience I volunteered for is/was a *non-invasive* procedure to diagnose H. pylori. My memory is not too clear about this - but I do remember having to drink a small styrofoam cupful of a special liquid. Then after a certain time period, I had to exhale into a *specially constructed plastic bag*. As a result of doing this, this diagnostic test would reveal whether or not I tested positive for H. pylori. My results were positive for H. pylori; but for some reason, which I do not remember, I did not qualify for the next research procedure.

I also remember having gone through endoscopy so that the doctor could actually see if I was H. pylori-free. Thankfully, I was!

Perhaps the most important point I would like to make is: if you are experiencing GERD, it is very important that you be treated for this condition. When stomach contents back up into your esophagus, the acid from your stomach can be very damaging to your esophagus and cause scarring to develop.

If you have been treated for GERD - and don't seem to be making much progress with your treatment - then maybe you should be looking for another doctor - a doctor who will be much more helpful and sympathetic to your concerns.

~ ~ ~ ~

5.) From: Karen Kaplan (kkaplan@eclipse.net) January 25, 2000 09:21AM

** WARNING - about Propulsid!!! ( January 24, 2000 )

The FDA announced yesterday that Propulsid can cause dangerous irregular heartbeats and even sudden death. So, those of you with GERD, try something else - my PCP has me on Axid, which has very few side effects and is specifically for GERD. I also find candied ginger very helpful - the Axid is to repair the damage to my stomach from Motrin last August. Karen ]

~ ~ ~ ~

6.) From: Tina Shelby (tshelby@usit.net) February 05, 2000 09:54 AM

Breate easy, propulsid is not the same type of drug as prevacid or prilosec. Propulsid increases gastric motility whereas prevacid and prilosec inhibit the production of acid in the stomach. Hope this helps. Tina ~ ~ ~ ~

7.) From: Helen Dynda (olddad66@runestone.net) March 08, 2000 10:41 PM

If you have a hiatal hernia, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) can mimic chest pain! This happened to me! I actually thought I was having heart problems because of the chest pain, I was having. I was very relieved to find out my heart was not involved. However, GERD is a serious problem that requires medical attention!! When acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, this can cause scarring in the esophagus! If you are having chest pain, I urge you to see your doctor!!

The following therapy was prescribed for me several years ago for both GERD and H.pylori. These drugs are available only with your doctor's prescription!

1.) Prilosec - is the brand name. Omeprazole (o-MEP-ra-zole) is the generic of Prilosec. Omeprazole is used to treat certain conditions in which there is too much acid in the stomach. It is used to treat gastric and duodenal ulcers and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), a condition in which the acid in the stomach washes back up into the esophagus.

Sometimes omeprazole is used in combination with antibiotics to treat ulcers associated with infection caused by the H. pylori bacteria(germ). Omeprazole works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by the stomach.

2.) Propulsid - is the brand name. Cisapride (SIS-a-pride) is a medicine that increases the movements or contractions of the stomach and intestines. It is used to treat symptoms such as heartburn caused by a backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus.

3.) Metronidazole (me-troe-NI-da-zole). Flagyl is the brand name. Metronidazole is used to treat infections.

These three drugs comprised the triple therapy which helped me to finally overcome GERD and H. pylori - within about a 3 month time-frame.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: