Questions about adhesions

Mon Aug 14 23:10:43 2000

Questions about adhesions From: Lindsay in BCDate: 19 Oct 1999 Time: 21:23:38 Remote Name: 24.113.31.226

Comments Hi, I had a colectomy and ileostomy done in december '98 due to crohns disease. Since the surgery, I have had a few minor food blockages and then about a month ago I had a reall bad one that required hospitalization and almost surgery. Since then I have not been feeling very good, I can't eat very much and when I do eat I get stomach cramps and feel very bloated so, as a result I hvae lost a lot of weight. Anyways, my questions are, can adhesions cause all these problems or is it more likely to be crohns-related? and also, if it is adhesions, is there anything you can do to get rid of them?

Thanks, Lindsay

Re: Questions about adhesions From: Mike ET Date: 20 Oct 1999 Time: 11:13:53 Remote Name: 151.197.127.94

Comments Lindsay in BC,

Unfortunately, your underlying Crohn's disease makes it difficult to rule out recurrent distress secondary only to adhesions. As you are no doubt well aware, Crohn's flares can also cause the symptoms you relate here. Post surgical and post inflammatory disease caused adhesions can also contribute to similar symptoms, and even overlap. So where do you stand in this matter? Without a clear answer as to specific cause(s) for your discomforts presently.

Further surgical interventions do place you at increased risk for more adhesions, however it is not necessarily certain but highly likely. It is a delicate balancing act between your body and your lifestyle patterns and your physicians to do what is prudent without needless unintended consequences.

Be prepared to work closely with all who care for you to better understand all possible strategies to anticipate problems and how to intervene sooner with conservative/protective strategies in the hopes of avoiding interventions that might be more troublesome from an adhesion risk view.

Although it may not offer you direct help for your current issues, I can tell you that many long-time ostomates "learn" how to manage recurrent adhesion episodes and take proactive measures to minimize settings that might trigger them.

Once the history of adhesion-induced obstructions is established then conservative approaches to management tend to be the pattern, unless there is an imminent justified need to do more intervention, like surgery.

I hope these comments help and not frighten you.

Good luck with your current problems.

--
Mike ET

http://www.ostomyinternational.org/Forum5A/Discussion5.htm

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: