Re: bowel obstructions

Thu Jul 6 16:20:12 2000

Renee,

There are some very capable doctors out there that are having success with there procedures and the prevention of adhesions from reforming.

Sherry Perry had surgery done by Dr. Daniell at Vanderbilt University and last I heard she was still very happy.

Quite a few people have gone to see Dr. Harry Reich who along with Dr. Jay Redan have recently opened the new Adhesion Center in Scranton, Pennsylvania. I have not heard of one person that has had surgery done there or at the prior site in New York that came away dissatisfied. Bev passed her one year anniversary of her surgery and is virtually pain free. Oh sure, she might feel an occasional twinge, but in the past she would be virtually incapacitated by this point. There are a number of people that have been there real recently...Pam, Beth, Helen....and probably others...Barb is on her way today and more to follow. No doctor will give you a guarantee that things will no recur.....they can't....their butts would be in court all the time.

Now we have people going to Germany and having Intergel used and laparscopes done by a very capable doctor. This process is being looked at very closely as it can end up being even cheaper than having it done in the states with insurance coverage. I, for one, have some doubts about the Intergel because I know of a woman who is now worse than before.....she developed infection immediately following its use. I know that I have a problem with other foreign bodies in my abdomen so I question its effectiveness in my situation. But, many are able to withstand its use and I can only say....more power to them!

I know for a fact that most of the people on this list have been told by their doctors that "they have the worst case of adhesions the doctor has seen" and that there is "no way that an adhesiolysis can be performed laparscopically"......yet every single person that has gone out to Dr. Reich and Dr. Redan have been able to have their procedures done laparscopically. They are that good! I cannot speak for Dr. Daniells or Dr. Korell....I don't have enough support information to be able to say that.

I do agree that you cannot allow just any doctor to perform your surgery. Most of them do not have the skills necessary to be lysing adhesions....even though they might think that they do. But do not give up hope or feel that you will be suffering for the rest of your life....I have been down that road....and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Karla

>----- Original Message -----
From: Renee Madron <1renee2@gte.net> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 12:18 PM Subject: Re: bowel obstructions

> When I found Dr. Howe, in Knoxville, Tennessee, I told him my problems,
although > they were very obvious. I weighed 80 something pounds, no color, and no
life in > me. He stated, that he would look by lap before he would do an open abd.
My > adhesions were so bad, that when trying to insert the instruments, he
found that > there was resistance, in all areas. He opened my abd. and later stated,
that he > was amazed at what he saw and could only imagine how I had lived and dealt
with > the pain and problems. The adhesions had adhered to the lower portion of
my > stomach and was pulling it down and stretching it, my intestines were
completely > engulfed and hidden, not to mention the adhesions were growing down into
and > through the vaginal area. At any rate, he called in other types of doctors
to > assist. His fears were, that my intestines would have to be modified, due
to > blockage and death of tissue, due to the constriction of the adhesions.
Thank > God for me, none of that had to be done. I had tubes going into every
orfious > possible. Not all adhesions could be taken down, I was back in the
hospital 6 > months later. I fear the same now, but where can I turn, no one in this
area is > willing to take on this task. I am constantly nauseous, and I have
noticed that > breakfast and lunch is about all I can handle in a days time, if I eat,
say > after 5 or 6 p.m., I become terribly ill. I have seen those doctors that
check > those things, and I feel like I have drank gallons of that nasty chalk
stuff, > but they say the same thing, "I couldn't find anything wrong with
you"...My > adhesions haven't been taken down in 2 1/2 to 3 years, but I have tried
other > types of procedures during that time, I can only imagine what kind of
shape my > internal organs are in. I hope to find someone soon.
>
> Robin Hinks wrote:
>
> > I am wondering if any one out there has these thoughts about bowel
> > obstructions too.I never had anything wrong with my bowel before my
first > > bwel surgery May 14th 1999 to create a new bladder for me.Since then my
> > bowel obstructions started nd in the beginning were only about once
every > > two months.Since then the time between them has gradually shortened so
that > > before the ileostomy I was eating for about five days(only very light
diet) > > and then a gut obstruction would form and back in hospital for fluids
> > only.Just before the surgery I found that I couldnt go even those five
days > > without it packing up.Now they think that it is the large bowel not
working > > at all because when they did a defeacagram they could see that the large
> > bowel was not moving.Well I had my ileostomy and now it seems that the
> > stomach or small bowel is not pushing anything through to the stoma.I am
> > luckier than some as I have a gastric tube as well and when the pain
gats > > too much then I release the gastric tube and out pours everything that
has > > been sitting in the stomach that was supposed to go down the small
bowel.I > > am waiting on the dctor to come and see if he knows anymore since he did
the > > endoscopy this morning.It just seems to me that if you re prone to bowel
> > obstructions does your bowel say "hey weare sick of the trauma and
handling > > and are going to go on strike". Can the bowel tire of interference?
please > > let me know what you think.Love always Robyne.

>> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Sherry Marie <SMGNWV@aol.com>
> > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net>
> > Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 10:49 AM
> > Subject: RE: Steps to reduce adhesion formation...Anne
> >
> > > Anne, Thanks for your response. I asked my surgeon what his opinion
on > > > second look surgery to take down the adhesions and he did not feel it
> > > beneficial. He told me to call him when I started vomiting. I have
had > > > acute bowel obstructions and the thoughts of that experience again
> > > upsets me terribly. I have experienced several partial bowel
> > > obstructions that seem to be getting more frequent. Due to the fact
> > > that I have had a bowel resection, the odds are stacked against me.
The > > > pulling sensation is non-relenting and I feel fullness under my ribs
> > > esp. the left one. An urgent care facility doctor told me that since
I > > > had the TAH the adhesions can also grow from the incision back onto
the > > > intestines. Thanks to all, it means so much to be able to share. I
> > > used to think I was the only one up against these aliens, now I know
I'm > > > not alone. Sherry Marie
> > >

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm > > >
> >
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: