Anne...Second-look laparoscopy....re-formed adhesions & de nova adhesions

Wed Jul 5 21:08:14 2000

I remember reading that Dr. J. Glenn Bradley, formerly with OBGYN.net, compares adhesions to cob webs - "cob webs" which are "easily swept down" within a week to ten days following a surgical procedure. I am not a medical professional; but I really wonder if it was a wise idea on the surgeon's part to "wash out adhesions" with "something like a water pik." I would think that just the force of the spray would be traumatic to the soft tissues within our body.

Laparoscopy surgery in and of itself can cause adhesions. If any debris ( blood ) from the laparoscopic procedure is left within the abdominal cavity, the result is the development of adhesions!! To me, it would seem plausible that, instead of "washing out the adhedilin (?) tissue", the force of the spray may have helped to introduce debris from the surgery further into the abdominal cavity...thus contributing to de nova adhesions De nova adhesions are new adhesions, which form away from the surgical site.

From: Anne Hayashi (mhaya0902@aol.com) Wed, 5 Jul 2000 19:19:27 -0500

I underwent a (3) part laparoscopy after four previous surgeries. No barriers were used. During the first surgery, the adhesions from the abdominal wall to the bladder and intestines were severe. The adhesions were taken down, and normal anatomy was restored. The idea was to go in for a second look one week later, and wash out the adhedilin tissue while it was in a rubber band state. Every original adhesion had returned,100% and 20% more denovo adhesions had returned. These rubber band like adhesions were washed out with something like a water pick (gently), and it was decided to go in a third time the next week. The third look revealed that all the adhesions had returned and there were 50% more denovo adhesions. These were all attachments to the abdominal wall. The "spray out" procedure was tried one more time, and I am now glued down with severe pulling pain, like many of you. I write this only because intervening surgically before the adhesions thickened did not work in my case. Perhaps there are others out there who have had success with this type of procedure. I, like Marla, am guessing that multiple surgeries may make ischemia a real problem due to decreased vascularity. I have often wondered if acupuncture immediately after the surgery would help by increasing vascularity? Anne H.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: