Re: Dateline - Feature on Chronic Pelvic Pain

Mon Jul 3 08:22:53 2000

Anne,

I also watched that segment. When the woman described her symptoms my kids said "Mom, that sounds like you."

I also waited for adhesions to be mentioned as a possible cause. I too am disappointed that it wasn't. Perhaps it warrants its own segment rather than a mere honorable mention.

Just think of all of those people out there (men and women) suffering from ARD but are still being bounced from doctor to doctor and don't have a clue what is causing their pain, because it was never mentioned to them as a possible diagnosis.

It certainly seems like it is easier to brush off to something like phantom pain (I like that one), irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis or something else. I am not saying by any means that it couldn't be those things, but if someone has surgery or other known event that could cause adhesions, doctors should include that possiblility and educate their patients on adhesions, their cause, symptoms and treatment alternatives. Especially when all other diagnostic tests are turning up negative.

I had symptoms just 3 weeks after surgery (via laparotomy) to remove my left tube and ovary. My doctor kept telling me it was part of the healing process (I guess he was right in a sense wasn't he?). At 8 weeks post op my pain worsened and I couldn't have a bowel movement or urinate without crying. I was sent for a barium enema, and IVP, he then referred me to a gastroenterologist who performed a colonoscopy. The gastroenterologist sent me to a urologist because he felt that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Interstitial Cystitis. I then had several tests that included a cystoscopy and a bladder biopsy. All along I kept saying "But I didn't feel like this before this surgery."

To make a long story short, just 7 months after the surgery to remove my left tube and ovary, I had a laparoscopy and had adhesions taken down, guess where? The bladder and colon. I feel much better now. My bladder symptoms are all but gone now. Before surgery, my bowel would spasm and then that would make my bladder spasm and vice versa.

Another note. Right in the literature I was given for Interstitial Cystitis (IC) it states that 90% of women who are diagnosed with IC can trace the onset of their symptoms to following a gynecological surgery. Isn't that interesting? The urologist I was seeing also told me that alot of the IC patients he sees who have adhesions taken care of have their symptoms disappear.

Sherry P

>----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Hayashi" <mhaya0902@aol.com> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 11:34 PM Subject: Dateline - Feature on Chronic Pelvic Pain

> I have just finished watching DATELINE, and one of
> the featured segments concerned a woman who suffered
> chronic pelvic pain and the cause seemed to be related
> to a buried varicose vein in the pelvis. It seems an
> M.D. in Johns Hopkins is able to block some of the
> culprit veins, and has brought about pain relief for
> some women.
> I was disturbed by the fact that Dr. Arnat(sp?)
> listed other pelvic pain causative factors including
> endo., but as usual, no mention of adhesions as a possible
> problem. I would suggest that perhaps DATELINE needs
> to hear from some of us. Research is based on monetary
> return, and I am convinced the amount of money spent on barrier research
> will be dependent on the perception that there is a huge need. If
> varicose veins can get some
> recognition, why is there such hesitancy to feature the
> adhesion issue? Why is this issue always getting bypassed?
> Is it because of the link to surgery? I wonder....
> Anne H.
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: