Re[2]: Colonoscopy results/funny feeling in gut/prednisone

Tue May 9 01:40:45 2000

> I do not know if a hernia would show up on the barium study....I just know
> that in order for them to diagnose mine they always do a ct scan. In fact,
> if I suspect I have a hernia I always tell them they need to do the
> ct....they always want to start with a regular abdominal xray which has
> never shown a hernia yet.

Problem in not in a hernia itself. Problem is in the level of the bowel strangulation. If it is quite certain they can guess consequently about the whole bowel obstruction and possible growing bowel necrosis. Doing a x-ray they are seeing not a dangerous hernia itself but usually some kind of the obstruction. BTW any experienced surgeon can find most hernias during usual palpation.

> Could it be possible that you have a hernia?? Mine have never
> shown up on ultrasound...even as large as they are.

Ultra-sound only shows quite dense things. Those things can be obstacles on the way of the ultrasound ray and therefore reflect the sound backward to the device. It's nearly impossible to find a hernia during ultra-sound and it can't help there since the intestines are filled with air. That study is fine for organs with certainly dense structure like the liver or kidneys.

> It appears that a lot of people with adhesions also have hernia problems.
Karla, I suppose it'd be more correct to say that lots of people with the severe complications after numerous abdominal operations also have certain hernia problems.. Concerning obstruction problems I'm sure hernia problems are a bit secondary since if we've put our abdominal organs in order hence our hernia problems would go in itself.

--
Igor Gudymenko

-------------------- Original Message -------------------- From: Karla Nygren ifirgit@up.net -------------------- Original Message -------------------- To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS igudym@eos.comint.net

>-------------------- Original Message -------------------- Sent: 07.05.2000 4:13:46 Subject: Colonoscopy results/funny feeling in gut/prednisone ---------------------------------------------------------- you wrote: ---------------------------------------------------------- > Jim, ---------------------------------------------------------- > I do not know if a hernia would show up on the barium study....I just know > that in order for them to diagnose mine they always do a ct scan. In fact, > if I suspect I have a hernia I always tell them they need to do the > ct....they always want to start with a regular abdominal xray which has > never shown a hernia yet.

> Hernias can definetely cause obstruction like symptoms.....because they can > cause obstructions. Right now I am going through intermittent obstructions > because of my hernia. Hernias and adhesions also seem to go hand in hand. > It appears that a lot of people with adhesions also have hernia problems.

> Karla

>> ----- Original Message ----- > From: JIM <JJHEINZ@UWM.EDU> > To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> > Sent: Friday, May 05, 2000 11:46 PM > Subject: Re: Colonoscopy results/funny feeling in gut/prednisone

>> Karla, that is an interesting question. I will bring it up with my >> doctors. Would a hernia show up on barium swallow xrays and would it >> cause obstruction symptoms like adhesions? >> >> At Wed, 3 May 2000, Karla Nygren wrote: >> > >> >Jim, >> > >> >I get the bubbling or rippling sensation....but mine are with each of my >> >hernias and occur around the urinary stoma. Could it be possible that > you >> >have a hernia?? Mine have never shown up on ultrasound...even as large > as >> >they are. >> > >> >Karla >> >

>>> >----- Original Message ----- >> >From: JIM <JJHEINZ@UWM.EDU> >> >To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@forum.obgyn.net> >> >Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 8:32 PM >> >Subject: Colonoscopy results/funny feeling in gut/prednisone >> > >> >> I just wanted to let everyone know that I went ahead with the >> >> colonoscopy on Friday. I had no problems and my doctor said everything >> >> was fine. I went ahead because we had to be sure that my crohn's >> >> disease had not returned and caused the obstruction, as it has done >> >> twice in the past. >> >> >> >> I also had an ultrasound today. The tech said everything looked fine. >> >> That's actually somewhat disappointing; I was hoping they could see >> >> something. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I will see >> >> my surgeon next week and discuss the surgical options. >> >> >> >> I am having a "funny" feeling in my intestines. I think it is the food >> >> working its way past an obstruction. No vomiting or pain just a >> >> "bubbling" or "popping" or "rippling" sensation. I will ask my doctor >> >> if I should increase my prednisone dose, as it seems to help. Anybody >> >> have a similar experience? >> >> >> >> I just want to thank everyone for their support. I have learned a > great >> >> deal from you. You have all been just great, particularly Bev and >> >> Karla. >> >> >> >> -- >> >> Jim from Milwaukee >> >> >> >> -- >> Jim from Milwaukee >>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: