Re: dateline; 20/20 >>

Sat Jan 8 13:26:01 2000

I definitely want to find a way to bring attention to the public via the media about the devastating effects which so postoperative adhesions have caused and are causing so many people from all over the world - thousands of people are suffering chronic, unrelenting pain as a result of adhesions!!

Not only are so many of these people suffering chronic, unrelenting pain as a result adhesions; but their families are suffering too- as a result of their loved one's inability to find a doctor who will be able to help them...or a doctor who will even believe that they are suffering at all.

Family members try to do everything possible to search for a doctor who will help their loved one; but after awhile they become just as frustrated, angry, and depressed as their loved as a result of having seen sooo many doctors who have not been able to help - or who won't help. It is a well known fact that there are many doctors throughtout the world who do not even believe that adhesions can cause pain!! These are the doctors who - when all tests are *negative or normal - give these patients any of the following diagnoses:

** "It's all in your head!"

** "You need to get a mental health or a psychiatric evaluation - meaning your pain is psychosomatic in origin."

** "You are going to have to find some way to live with it; there is nothing that can be done for your chronic pain."

** "I (the doctor) do not believe that you are suffering as much as you say you are."

** I saw the word, "hypochrondriac", written in one of my medical reports from the Mayo Clinic!!

Then when it comes to prescribing something to help relieve your pain -- Each one of you has a story to tell about that, don't you?

Regarding media attention: Is the best strategy to send our stories individually? Or is it best to decide on a certain date and send our stories individually or as a group - to the chosen media(s)? It seems to me that in order to effectively make something like this happen, we would need to have a coordinator, who has the skills to bring us together so that we can come up with a plan of action. [NOTE: I know how easy it is to quickly elect the person (who comes up with an idea or suggestion) as the coordinator. I am willing to share ideas; but I do not wish to be a coordinator. Enough said about that one!]

** IF WE FAIL TO PLAN, WE WILL PLAN TO FAIL **

Here are some other ways of reaching the media:

1. The many newspapers throughout the world - "Letter to the Editor"; or as a special article(s). Both of these are generally cost-free.

2. Brochures - to place in doctors' offices, etc. throughout the world. This could be costly but a very effective way of calling attention to adhesions and the problems which they can cause.

3. Books - could be written by those who possess writing. skills.

4. Establishment of local adhesion support groups throughout the world. This could be an ideal way to reach the many people who are suffering from adhesions - and are people who are not aware that there already is an online support and education site, The International Adhesions Society at: http://www.adhesions.org/forums/

THANK YOU, DR. WISEMAN, FOR HAVING THE VISION TO SEE THAT THERE WAS AND IS A NEED TO CALL ATTENTION TO THIS SERIOUS SURGICAL PROBLEM, POSTOPERATIVE ADHESIONS!!

At Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Tina Shelby wrote: >
>Hi all,
>
>With the unfortunate death of Christine, and the scariness of how close her
>story is to many of ours as well, I hope as a group, we will be more
>pro-active in getting our story to the media.
>
>Have we decided which media group we want to mass mail our stories to? If I
>have missed it, I apologize for the repetitiveness.
>
>Thanks
>
>Tina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: