Wed Nov 17 10:40:40 1999

At Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Karen O'Keefe wrote: >
>Thank you for the explanation. I'm assuming, then, that this would be
>where they remove all of the female organs, ovaries and all but does not
>involve the cervix. Is this correct? I suppose I'm confused by the
>comment that it affects one's sex life - I thought that a hysterectomy
>didn't do that...???

\Hi!

A TAH refers only to the removal of the uterus.(through a conventional abdominal incision) It is called "total" I believe because a "subtotal" leaves the cervix behind. I'm not 100% sure of the subtotal business, but I know a "TAH" only involves the uterus. If the ovaries are removed, that's a separate procedure and would be designated BSO or bilateral salpingooopherectomy (tubes and ovaries removed on both sides) or rt or lt salpingooopherectomy. So if you had the whole thing done, the procedure would be listed on the OR schedule as TAH & BSO or perhaps subtotal abdominal hysterectomy and BSO.

Whether or not removal of the uterus affects someone's sex life is very individual and may even be subjective. It would depend on why it was done, what was actually done, psychological issues,etc. I can only speak for myself but a TAH had no effect on my sex life whatsoever-it was not better or worse after the procedure. The only thing I regret now is by not having periods I have no easy indicator of hormonal status. (i.e.menopause)

chris s.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: