Re: adhesions ? RX ?-Susie

Fri Nov 12 06:33:15 1999

At Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Susie wrote: >
>Should I let them do surg. again ?
>Background: lower right abd. pain in July, surg. in Aug for a demeral
>cyst - (larger than a tennis ball); since surg. - not a normal bowel
>life. Major pain - RLQ, intensity 7-9, hits at various times (not
>related to eating), can and does wake me from a sound sleep; pain pills
>will stop it but who wantes to be attached to a pill bottle.
>
>Will additional sug. stop the pain ? The surg. want to do a TAH and he
>thinks that will fix it -- but why that - when the pain in directly
>located in the area where he took the cyst, right ovary & fall. tube
>out.
>
>I don't understand -- help me please . . .

Hi Susie: I encourage you to read my story (christine m smith) on the adhesions quilt of this website. I also had right lower quadrant pain which when they did a laparoscopy they also found something in that area and after the lap the pain even went away (for 2 1/2 months). When they did the second lap 6 months after the first they found that the adhesion found (and released) during the first lap in the right lower quadrant had NOT reformed. So why did I have the same pain in the right lower quadrant again? There are many possible reasons for this including 1) many disorders of the pelvis refer pain to the right side when in fact the problem could be elsewhere in the pelvis 2) surgery often causes a relief of pain for reasons they don't know and not necessarily because of what they did during the surgery. 3) THe pain was not from what they worked on (in my case the adhesions) It *appears* that my pain originates from my spine, even though for 2 years ALL I had was right quadrant pelvic/abdominal pain and NO BACK PAIN. It is true that some back problems only cause abdominal/pelvic pain and this obviously causes major confusion. My gyn asked about my back when my pain problem first started and I insisted I had no back problems.I had no back pain! It was when I started aerobics that things came to a head for me. I also woke up in the night (even though I did not have increased pain during or after my aerobics class) with excruciating right lower quadrant pain. Even though the jury is still out on my case, I doubt very much my pain problem is due to my adhesions. But everyone's situation is different, just something to consider. If I were you, I might be interested in a diagnostic laparoscopy but I wouldn't want them to go removing my uterus and remaining ovary unless they were sure that was indeed the problem. And the only way to do that is to rule out ALL possible sources of pain. They could make matters even worse, but I don't see where a "look and see" would hurt.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: