Replying to e-mail vs. posting

Wed Nov 10 14:18:42 1999

I replied to a post of Toni's that came to me via e-mail by clicking on "reply". I never received my reply as an e-mail and I don't know if others on the adhesion list did. If they did, I apologize for duplication. I think things are still mixed up and regardless of how posts come to you, it is best to post a message or reply on the forum if you want everyone to see it.

Hi Toni:

You would think that the pain clinic and the doctors would all be working together for your good, but I have come to realize this is not the case. Instead, it seems that all have their own agendas so don't be surprised if the pain clinic (especially non-medical people like counselors) seem to get their "nose out of joint" if you opt for the surgery. I once saw a counselor for 6 months for chronic pain (which is looking like it was connected to my current problem) because the doctors all told me "there was nothing wrong with me." At the end of the 6 months I had a flare, returned to the doctor, and the counselor just about threw me out of her office. I am not kidding. She said it indicated to her that I did not have belief in her treatment. This doesn't sound like people working together for the good of the patient to me. Just something to keep in mind when the pain clinic tells you they think you're crazy to consider surgery.

As far as meds go, it appears to me that a lot of people on this forum are receiving a lot stronger/more effective pain medication than oxycontin. Maybe not stronger in concentration (that I don't know, not being a pharmacist) but perhaps delivered in more effective ways (pumps, patches, etc.) The difference in how each pain clinic seems to work is very puzzling to me. I know my experience was disappointing and the doc I just saw said that it was typical. Yet I hear (and not just on this forum) how the pain management clinics helped patients so much. Very frustrating!

Lots of prayers as you consider surgery. I'm glad to read that you will have a general surgeon there also. Remember I said way back that your gyn should not (and I knew he would not) do this alone. Having all your trust in him is good, but as a professional he knows what he is capable of and when he should rely on the expertise of someone else, for the good of his patient. It's good that he will be there for you. My gyn showed up at the general surgeon's laparoscopy as well, although in my case I think he was just curious.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: