Re: Social Security

Tue Nov 9 13:38:27 1999

I called the Social security Administration regarding " diagnosis " codes and applying for disability as this type of question comes up frequantly.

My understanding was that anyone can apply for SS diability. You make an appoinment at your nearest SS office to start the application.

You do not need any your medical files, but you do need to provide a defined medical history. ( Dr's, medications, hospital stay's. surgery';s, treament measures taken regarding the disability you are stating as the cause of your disability ) as well as the reason you feel this medical condition is causing you to be disabled.

Your application will be reffered to a central office where it will be reviewed by medical personel. They will then determine just what catagory your disorder falls in, it is designated by the " diagnosis codes " which sort of clump medical conditions together. Your Dr. does NOT have to know the code to send in any associated information as the diagnosis will be placed in the most associated catagory for determination of disability. This is where it gets sticky for persons sufferring with adhesion's as there is really NO diagnosis code/catatgory for which this fits into! There are codes for: Pelvic Inflammitory Desease #6140 Genito/Urinary #6290 urinary tract #5990 and the closet I could come to a code for " adhesions " as a diagnosis was: Gastrointestinal #5690

Now, dependent on how this code reads, even adhesion may not fit as they are not really diagnosable, only assumed to be a problem. Once lysed and then symptoms return, that doesn't mean your symptoms are a result of reformed or Denovo adhesions! BUT I do think that if all other diagnostic testing comes out negative for abnormal pathology, then a diagnostic laporoscopy could be done to determine if you do for a fact have adhesions ( pelvic or abdominal ) I belivevthat a laporoscopic procedure in and of itself will NOT cause adhesions, so if a surgeon went in ONLY to look for the cause of your symptoms and DID NOT lyse any adhesions that were seen, you just might be able to get a firm diagnosis of adhesions as a cause for your symptoms. If all else fails....CPP is an accepted diagnosis for a disability ...Chronic Pelvic Pain!

I am attempting to secure the code definitions at this time...you can also request them by calling your Social Security office...the definitions will tell you exactly what the medical advisors use to determine if a diagnosis fits into a code and to what degree a patient must be sufferring to be determined disabled.

That is a start and I'll keep on this until we either get recognized as having a disorder, or find another code to be placed under for this disorder!! Regards Bev

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: