Surgery reports & adhesions

Thu Nov 4 12:54:42 1999

Hi all, I finally read through all my hospital records last night from my 2 recent surgeries. It confirmed alot of things I knew and told me many new things I should have been told but wasn't. I discovered that my Dr. lied to my face telling me he never once touched my bladder--yet his own dictated surgery report goes into great detail about dissecting my bladder from my cervix (an adhesion attached them together?) and that the surgeon then created a bladder flap (what the heck is that?). My bladder also was cauterized in 2 places. No wonder it hurt so bad for so long! I had a Laprascopic LAVH hysterectomy on 8/12/99, in which they removed massive pelvic adhesions that had been there for almost 20 years. By the time I had my 2nd surgery on 9/15/99 I had a new adhesion grown from my omentum to my vaginal cuff! Yet in the report it says they don't believe it was causing me any pain! They did thank god, remove it! They also removed massive adhesions in my upper right quadrant and right pelvic side wall (sounds like a tire!). Now this is where my new pain is so I'm convinced those grew back :-( Anyway as some of you know I had alot of bowel problems since surgery #2, and in my CT scan report they noted that I had diverticular disease of the sigmoid colon. No one thought to tell ME any of this. I would have never known had I not gotten copies of my records. Now I don't know much about diverticular disease so will have to read up on it and see if it's related in any way to my bowel problems. I'm just amazed I guess that docs don't feel the need to tell their patients these things! I'm seeing my new PCP next week and am hoping for a referral to a colo-rectal surgeon, get some tests done and if I have to be opened up again, I really want to use some type of barrier or pray intergel is ready! BTW, I did see where in surgery #1 my gyn/surgeon used the "adhesion prevention surgical techniques" by using ringers lactate, wet sponges, irrigation, etc. It didn't keep me from growing new adhesions :-( But I was glad to see he knew those procedures and used them. On my 2nd surgery he got sloppier tho and didn't use them :-( Anyway, just dumping some of this off my chest. Thanks to Chris for answering alot of my specific medical report questions by email. You've been a lifesaver! And a sanity saver too! Gina

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: