Re: obstruction of small intestine - can't tolerate fibre

Tue Aug 24 12:33:42 1999

Jennifer, As someone else said, I think the first thing would be to avoid those foods which make you worse, at least until you can get a better handle on things. Secondly, and as someone else said, I would look into one of the adhesion prevention barriers that are out there which have been proven to work. The couple that are out currently I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) can be used only during laparotomy (Interceed, Seprafilm). However, I recently took part in a clinical trial for a gel called Intergel which can be used during laproscopy. It probably won't be on the market until next year, but it worked well with me. And obviously, an laproscopy is usually preferred when possible because of the smaller incisions. But if you have a lot of adhesions, especially on your bowel, you might have to have the laparotomy anyway, in order to be sure and get it all. But I would definitely look into one of the barriers. There's even still time to get involved in the clinical trials of intergel, although it would have to be done by December, and being in the trial wouldn't cost you anything. If you think you might be interested at all, let me know and I can get you more information about criteria, etc. I know there are trials in Pittsburgh and LA still going on. Don't know about other places. Hope things get better for you soon.

Sue Ann

>anyway, i have been told numerous times that there is no cure for my
>condition, as surgery to remove the scar tissue would only result in the
>formation of more. i am now at the end of my tether. doctors continue
>to tell me that nothing can be done, and nobody understands just how
>horrifically painful this condition is. i weigh only 95 pounds, even
>though i'm 5'4". people always assume I'm anorexic, when in fact, i
>have this rare condition i cannot even begin to explain.
>
>i hope someone out there can relate to this, and tell me if there's any
>hope.
>
>jennifer
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: