trouble adjusting to pain meds.

Sat Jul 24 13:33:23 1999

Hello everyone I am having A bit of a problem adjusting to the meds that the pain management Dr. put me on.I started all the meds Monday evening at 5: 3o p.m and by Tuesday evening I could not even function.I felt like I was walking sideways and that everything was in a blur,And my speechwas slurred.I called the Dr. and he lowered the methadone dose down to taking it 2 times a day instead of 4.He told me to call hom back on Friday to let him know how I was doing,So I called his office at noon and left a message with his secretary telling her that as far as being able to function I was doing a little better,although I was still quite sleepy,But the problem was now that the pain medication was not workong as well as it did being on the 4 doses. She told me that someone would definatly get back to me that afterenoon.I waited all day and nobody returned my call.When I saw the Pain Management Dr. on Monday he told me that the meds would probably have to be adjusted and do not hesitate to call him,That is why they have telephones.They also told me that when the phones get turned off at his office the calls go directly to the Drs. home he has no answering service.I thought that this was great a Dr. that takes all his own calls from his patiences.So I called him about 8:30 lat evening and Was told that he was out with his sons and when he returned home she would have him call me.THe Dr. returned my call around 9:15 and sounded very annoyed with me.I first apologized for calling him at home and told him that I had called his office at noon and waited all day for someone to call me back but nobody had.I thought that he was very rude with me and I felt like I was being scolded,he first told me that right off hand he did not know who I was and that he did not have my chart in front of him and that he had seen 30-40 other patience this week .I told him that I had called hom on Wednesday to tell hom that I was capable of functioning due to the meds.he asked me very sarcastically to put it in medical terms on what I meant by not being able to function.I told him that I was very dizzy and was not able to do anything but lie in bed.he told me that there is an adjustment period to getting use to taking the meds and I told him that I understood that,But the reason I was calling him now was because the pain medication was helping me with the dose being cut in half.So now he has adjusyed the dose again and I will see if this will work.He told me that he was going to be away from Sunday Until Tuesday but to call his office and ket them know how I am doing for he would be checking in with his office on Monday.I'm Not too sure bif I like this Dr. yet or not I certainlly do not like being treated like someone who does not know what they are doing.Well I need to go for now but will like to hear from any one for support on this. "FRIENDS THAT STICK TOGRTHER" Peggy

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: