Re: Chris-Peggy

Fri Jul 23 08:17:53 1999

At Fri, 23 Jul 1999, pklippe1@nycap.rr.com wrote: >
>THank you so much for responding to my posts,Sometimes I feel like some
>of the questions are relly stupid but thay do help me out alot.What are
>anti-emetic drugs?And should I mention about the demerol making me sick
>before I go in for the test or the day I go in for the test?Thanks,Peggy

Hi Peggy: No question is stupid!! You heard that before, I'm sure. but it's true. I had a ton of questions about MRIs before I had mine and the one thing that really surprised me was how many people have had one! And in some cases, more than one. That's how I found out to take the valium beforehand but I didn't take enough. I guess that's where the personal experience comes in. I would call your doc office (the one ordering the colonoscopy) and tell them (if they don't know) or re-empasize to them that you don't want a repeat of the vomiting after the procedure. Ask them if it was the drugs (probably was, but you know how touchy they get when you try to tell them what you think the problem is) and could you try something different. Then when you go in for the procedure tell the nurse setting you up this same thing. They always ask for allergies to drugs. Even if its on the record they seem to ask, ask, and then ask some more. I always tell them I'm "allergic" to codeine-that way I know I won't be given any. I'm not really allergic, it just makes me sick, that is a common side effect. Codeine is one of the first things they give you for pain (as in Tylenol #3) so I always just say I'm allergic to it so they think of something else. Anti-emetic drugs are drugs that stop nausea. (emesis=vomit) I'm not sure what they would give before a procedure. There are a few. Phenergan is a drug for nausea that I think they do give with demerol if I remember correctly. I know nausea is a very common side effect from demerol. Ask them about it. There are other drugs that help too. You just have to bring it to their attention. I found the tips for the fleets-phosho soda which I am going to post next.

Chris S.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: