>Finally, has anyone had an MRI? What can I expect? They just called with
>my appt-next Monday at 9 PM!!! Weird? The daughter of a friend had one
>and she normally has no problems with things like this, found the MRI
>very, very difficult to tolerate. She said it took intense mental
>imagery to keep from panicking in the enclosed area. She advised
>pre-medication. Help!
>
>Chris S.

I've had three MRI's over the years so far, although they were of the brain, so I was completely inside the machine. I'm not sure exactly what your position would be since yours would be of a different area. I can't say it was a joyful experience, but I had no serious problems. The only minor thing was that I have occasional allergy problems and one time I forgot to take a sinus medication so I needed to swallow frequently and I as afraid I wasn't being still enough. (Try to swallow without moving your head.) But all three were at different facilities and the machines were slightly different as they improved over the years. The first one they had a mirror placed so that you could see out of the machine along with music playing. The other two didn't have the mirror but still had your choice of music and there is always a microphone there so you can scream if it's getting to you. But the two newer machines also had a little more breathing space than the first one, if I remember correctly. I just closed my eyes and day dreamed to try and make the time pass quicker. Sometimes when they say, "this will take 5 mintues" -- I would count off the seconds so it didn't seem longer than it really was. But all in all, I didn't think it was that bad.

Sue Ann

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: