Re: Adhesions

Tue May 11 21:29:40 1999

At Tue, 11 May 1999, Brenda wrote: >
>Hello Toni, Helen, Sherri, Chris
>Guess the phrase "you are not alone" is so true.
>Everyone of you have experienced some kind of bowel obstruction!
>Everything you have been saying are all signs that have put me in the
>hospital at one time or another.
>I can not believe so many people suffer like we do and there does not
>seem to be any relief in site.
>Last week I had loose stool all week now I have not went for over five
>day! Is this sappose to be normal? I think not.
>Yes, and sometimes I too vomit while having a bowel movement.
>Is there no end to this suffering!!!!
>I am going back to the Dr. on Monday....(Ha, ha.. just more meds. I
>bet) Wish me luck.

Hi Brenda! So when are you supposed to seek medical attention? I know if I started vomiting I certainly would, but I understand not everyone does, and usually only if a complete obstruction. I read that the lower down the GI tract the less likely there will be vomiting. The only place it is likely that I have small bowel adhesions is the lower loops. My main problem is the sigmoid colon, less likely to totally obstruct, but can still partially obstruct or twist. Do they tell you where your obstruction is? Do you have a "problem area" or is it a generalized problem? Do you ever get a fever when you get these obstructions? The first time the adhesions made themselves known I had a few hours of fever and shaking chills. Looking back, the gyn said it was probably a partial bowel obstruction. This is what I compare current episodes to. The first time it happened, I was just about to call the doctor's office thinking abdominal pain/fever/shaking chills is not good, when they suddenly disappeared! I have two types of pain -the above "attacks" I described earlier in a post and another pain that's harder to describe. Its a heavy, crushing type pain in the lower right side that extends out to the hip and through to the lower right back (actually my right side of my behind)I usually get this type at night-it wakes me up. It's quite severe, but always seems to go away with a change of position. I get a milder version during the day, but never the severe attack that comes at night. I have no idea what this is. I suspect it is the sigmoid colon being pinched but who knows. The doctor that answered my question on the other forum said the barium enema is the better test to determine the location and configuration of the sigmoid colon. I'm going to ask the colo rectal doctor about this. Someone else on the forum said it was no fun because the barium is heavy and the weight pulls on the bowel.

Chris S. >
>--
>Brenda
>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: