Re: Charcoal Tablets?

Tue May 4 13:42:37 1999

I also get the swelling, and have wondered about that. You mentioned charcoal tablets. I have never heard of them. Do you find them at the pharmacy? and are they easy on the bowels? I was told to take no form of laxative, and just was curious. Thanx!

--
Dee
-----Original Message-----
To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@talk.obgyn.net>
Date: Monday, May 03, 1999 11:35 PM
Subject: ADHESIONS digest 21

> ADHESIONS Digest 21 > >Topics covered in this issue include: > > 1) Re: Adhesions - What else?B.J. > by welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) > 2) Re: ADCON(R)-P Adhesion Control Barrier Solution results....Helen > by welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) > 3) Re: ADCON(R)-P Adhesion Control Barrier Solution results....Toni > by olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) > 4) >>>Women's Surgery Group<<< > by olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) > 5) Women's Surgery Group >>>Frequently Asked Questions<<< > by olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) > 6) when doctors push you off! > by welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) > 7) Comparing Symptoms > by bmarra1@nycap.rr.com (B.J. Marra) > 8) Re: Comparing Symptoms > by "Karen O'Keefe" <kareno@azlink.com> > >---------------------------------------------------------------------- > >---------------------------------------------------------------------- >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 08:01:10 -0500 (CDT) >---------------------------------------------------------------------- >From: welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: Re: Adhesions - What else?B.J. >Message-ID: <199905031301.IAA31705@talk.obgyn.net> > >At Sun, 2 May 1999, B.J. Marra wrote: >> >>I've had 8 pelvic surgeries. You know, the usual GYN crap. But it >>wasn't until the last 2 that I really started having problems. Now I'm >>like all of you and I hate it. My quality of life stinks. I try so >>hard to do all the things I enjoy: running, biking, hiking, working out. >>I'll have a run of good days and think maybe it's going to be ok. Only >>to be slapped in the face by a reality check. I try to keep my spirits >>up, but it's hard isn't it? The company I worked for for yrs just left >>the area and they were real flexible with me and my health issues. Now >>I have the dilema of trying to find new employment and asking myself can >>I honestly give them my best? How long will it be before the pain gets >>the best of me again? It's such a vicious cycle. Has anyone out there >>had any luck at all with surgery to remove the adhesions? So far all >>I've read are negative results. I'm currently trying magnetics: I wear >>one around my waist and sleep on a bed pad with 350 of them in it. Who >>knows if its working. Anyone else tried magnets? I'm off Lortab which I >>took on and off for the last 2 yrs. Boy was that fun (the withdrawals)! >>And you guys are right-most doctors just don't want to deal with you. I >>was in the ER last Friday and they did absolutley nothing for me. I was >>in so much pain that I even took my overnight bag, practically hoping >>they'd admit me and do some extensive tests. Fat chance! I didn't even >>get a shot for the pain. I guess I'll try a pain clinic. But would >>really like to hear from someone with positive results from surgical >>removal of the adhesions. >> >>-- >>B.J. >> > >Hi, I am Toni, i am also a suffeerer with adhesions, which I believe has >taken over my life, and NO dr wants to fool with us. My gyn did 2 >laparotomies and 2 laps in 6 months, and he said the last laparotomy had >to be done just for the fact that transverse colon was stuck to the >pelvic floor and was smothering the small bowel, he also said he lysed >extensive adhesions from loops of small bowel. I am now going to pain >clinic, and the meds are not helping yet, I am on Neorotin, trazadone >and I taking darvocet, which does NOTHING for the pulling pain, and the >usual pain I have all the time aND THat is always in the groin area, one >girl said it right, like and old doll with the rubber bands pulled too >tight. > >I am going to see gyn soon, to look at the pictures, and I want him >explain them ALL, and maybe I will understand the pain I am having, but >I have NO relation with husband, it hurts too much, now I have to worry >about that, I cannot take much more, they say IF a barrier comes out >that can be used laparoscopically, he may consider surgery maybe in 6 >months, they ALL say to stay away from surgery, and learn to live with >it, but I am crying daily again you can only take so much! Toni > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 08:17:12 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: Re: ADCON(R)-P Adhesion Control Barrier Solution results....Helen >Message-ID: <199905031317.IAA32624@talk.obgyn.net> > >At Sun, 2 May 1999, Helen Dynda wrote: >> >>As I was searching for articles on second-look laparoscopy, I came >>across this article in which Gliatech, Inc. announced (on September >>25,1998) the results of its pilot human clinical trial of ADCON(R)-P >>Adhesion Control Barrier Solution. >> >>This is the first article I have been able to find which gives some >>information on how the research trials with the gel adhesion barriers >>are progressing as the various pharmaceutical companies race to try to >>be the first to have their gel adhesion barrier product approved by the >>FDA. >> >>Here is the URL so that you can read about it too: >><http://www.intelihealth.com/ipn/pcn/HN/phm/00197724.htm> > >I am still confused with all these barriers, and do you really think >they will be available for some of us, my gyn said to my husband a few >months ago, he is willing to do a lap if things keep getting worse for >me, but he mentioned a barrier too and waiting for this. Is it far down >the road? >I Do not want any more surgery, but if they were sure it would work, I >would go for it! Still confused! > >I > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:08:54 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: Re: ADCON(R)-P Adhesion Control Barrier Solution results....Toni >Message-ID: <199905031908.OAA13659@talk.obgyn.net> > >Toni, >As far as I know, winter of 1999 is the earliest predicted time as to >the possibility of a pharmaceutical company being able to present their >gel adhesion barrier product to the FDA for their approval. I am trying >to avoid surgery until I have seen some conclusive evidence that a gel >adhesion barrier works and has been approved by the FDA. > >"Surgery begets adhesions! Adhesions beget sugery." This "Catch-22" >situation is a reality! Unless a person can afford to go to one of the >best surgeons in the United States, each surgery will cause a patient to >develop even more adhesions. This is reality! > >This brings to my mind some very enlightening information which I read >just a few days ago. I will post this web site when I can give your the >web site for it. > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 14:45:08 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: >>>Women's Surgery Group<<< >Message-ID: <199905031945.OAA15394@talk.obgyn.net> > >The Women's Surgery Group (WSG) is an excellent web site!! I give the >WSG an A+ for... > >..all of the easily understood information which these WSG physicians >have included at their site. > >..continually adding new information on a timely basis. > >..their laparoscopic Photo Gallery, which includes some of the best >pictures I have seen of the various diseases and disorders. > >..their involvement in Clinical Research. > >The web site for the Women's Surgical Group is: > ><http://www.womenssurgerygroup.com/> > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 15:02:43 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: olddad66@runestone.net (Helen Dynda) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: Women's Surgery Group >>>Frequently Asked Questions<<< >Message-ID: <199905032002.PAA16130@talk.obgyn.net> > >These are some of the Frequently Asked Questions, which you will find >answers to, if you go to the Women's Surgery Group web site: > >1.) How do I know that my gynecologist is skilled and experienced in >laparoscopic surgery? > >2.) What questions should I ask my gynecologist about his/her experience >in laparoscopic surgery? > >3.) What questions should I ask my gynecologist before surgery? > >4.) Why is videotaping of the laparoscopic surgery important? > >5.) Should I insist on the laparoscopic approach to my surgery? > >6.) Why does my endometriosis keep coming back? > >7.) Before I agree to laparoscopy for possible endometriosis, what >questions should I ask? > >8.) I have been told my hysterectomy cannot be done vaginally, why is >this hot neccesarily true? > >9.) > >Since there is no question for number 9, this tells me that there will >be more questions and answers to look forward to. This web site is >noticeably and actively adding new information to this site as it >becomes available to them. > >You will find the answers to these 8 questions at the following web >site: > ><http://www.womenssurgerygroup.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm#how> > >This is the web site which I promised I would post here > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 15:11:43 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: welsh@mail.fuse.net (Toni Welsh) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: when doctors push you off! >Message-ID: <199905032011.PAA16680@talk.obgyn.net> > >I am still struggling with the gyn I have seen for years, and ALL my >faith is in him. He is my referring dr to the pain center, so is is >trying to help me, I asked him to do an ultrasound, just in case of the >ORS ,I stopped taking premarin, and have no menopausal symtoms, another >dr mentioned this could be from the ovary being so stuck, that it was a >good chance that COULD be ORS, but all my gyn did was get upset with me, >he said he would do an estrogen check, but I am pushing off calling him. > >I feel like he is sick and tired of hearing from me, and he did say he >would take time to sit an show me ALL my photos, and maybe I would >understand the pain, but I am scared of bothering him. What would any >of you do, I will not find another gyn, he IS just frustrated like I am! > >Toni > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 17:47:18 -0500 (CDT) >------------------------------ >From: bmarra1@nycap.rr.com (B.J. Marra) >To: adhesions@adhesions.org >Subject: Comparing Symptoms >Message-ID: <199905032247.RAA23253@talk.obgyn.net> > >I'm curious if anyone has simular symptoms as myself and what is being >done for them. I have sharp, stabbing pain in my right side. Sometimes >just this pain. Other times, it is accompanied by other symptoms that >seem to radiate from this source such as a pulling feeling in other >areas of my abdomen. I have incredible lower back pain. Not always-but >often enough. When my bowels move, once they hit a certain spot, it >really hurts, then stops once they move past that point. (I don't have >a bowel obstruction-supposedly) In addition, my abdomen gets all puffy >and bloated looking. It's not my imagination, some days it's flat and >then others it just balloons right up. Next to my bikini line incision >I get a swollen spot about 4" long. It's very noticable and feels like >a balloon filled with water! I've also noticed that about the same time >each month, I have my worst bouts of pain, usually around the end of the >month. Which coincides to the time I used to have my period. Weird >huh? Anyone else experiencing stuff like this? Anyway, for those who >read this, please respond and let me know if you are having simular >experiences - especially the swelling. No one seems to be able to >explain that one! > >-- >B.J. > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 20:25:25 -0700 >------------------------------ >From: "Karen O'Keefe" <kareno@azlink.com> >To: adhesions@obgyn.net >Subject: Re: Comparing Symptoms >Message-ID: <372E76B5.96@azlink.com> >MIME-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > >My symptoms are similar to yours (fun, huh?). A lot of times if I have >to go to the bathroom, I don't get the sensation of "having to go", just >stabbing pains. My stomach also swells up quickly and then the pain >comes rather quickly and it's intense! I always run and take several >charcoal tablets as I believe the bloating is gas trapped in my system. >If I take it soon enough, it starts to relieve the symptoms fairly >quickly. You can take a fair amount of charcoal and it's better for your >system than other OTC gas medications. My stomach is usually flat but >when this occurs (which is almost on a daily basis), it will swell up to >twice its size in a matter of minutes. My worst bouts of pain are also >around my menstrual cycle, which unfortunately has been coming twice a >month for quite a while now. > >Anyway, try the charcoal tablets and see if the swelling goes down. Let >me know! > >Karen > >> >> I'm curious if anyone has simular symptoms as myself and what is being >> done for them. I have sharp, stabbing pain in my right side. Sometimes >> just this pain. Other times, it is accompanied by other symptoms that >> seem to radiate from this source such as a pulling feeling in other >> areas of my abdomen. I have incredible lower back pain. Not always-but >> often enough. When my bowels move, once they hit a certain spot, it >> really hurts, then stops once they move past that point. (I don't have >> a bowel obstruction-supposedly) In addition, my abdomen gets all puffy >> and bloated looking. It's not my imagination, some days it's flat and >> then others it just balloons right up. Next to my bikini line incision >> I get a swollen spot about 4" long. It's very noticable and feels like >> a balloon filled with water! I've also noticed that about the same time >> each month, I have my worst bouts of pain, usually around the end of the >> month. Which coincides to the time I used to have my period. Weird >> huh? Anyone else experiencing stuff like this? Anyway, for those who >> read this, please respond and let me know if you are having simular >> experiences - especially the swelling. No one seems to be able to >> explain that one! >> >> -- >> B.J. > >-- > ,-. __ > , ( {o\ >(' ) > {`"=,___) (`~ )/ > \ ,_.- ) /( > ~^~^~^`- ~^ ~^ '~^~^~^~ / `----/ > http://www.dbqinc.com/decoy \ ~=- / > ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^ > >------------------------------ > >------------------------------ >End of ADHESIONS Digest 21 >------------------------------ >**************************

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: