Re: Son has severe gas pain as soon as he stands up from waking up

Wed Feb 13 18:43:04 2013

I thought this was interesting. I'm 25 now and when I was 21 I started having really bad stomach pains. It went for about a month on and off and I finally went to a hospital and after x-rays was told my appendix was about to burst and I needed to have it removed that night. Ever since I had my appendix removed (laparoscopically as well) my phsycial health has pretty much gone to hell. I wake up with the same gas pains, my doesn't extend to just standing (in fact I find more gas collects in the intestines from laying down as gravity isn't working in the same direction on your internal organs). Standing and just trying to relax all his muscles (this will take practice) should help as it is true gas collects in the intestines (especially us who have severe GERD) while we lay down. I was going to the hospital once a month for some time due to the simple fact that I would do nothing but vomit for days (sometimes dark green bial due to the stomach being so empty, this forces the gallbladder to empty all it's bial into the stomach- I believe it's a natural defense mechanism to protect your stomach from the harmful acid your son may have experienced this as well or may in the future).

Unfortunately, your son probably has to take a Proton Pump Inhibitor every single day, without breaks as you're supposed to be able to do. You are technically supposed to stop taking PPI's for I think a week every 3 months but many of us cannot afford the results of stopping taking it and so we suffer the consequences that such PPI's cause: nutrient deficiency as drugs like Nexium and Protonix prevent the stomach from being able to absorb nutrients, I've found my potassium levels to be extremely low and have been given Potassium IV's in the hospital which helped to reduce some of the aches and pain I associate with GERD. I've been told that PPI's can have effects on your appetite, anyhow I've gone from 180lb. athlete to a 125lb. mere nothing and still lose 1-2lb.s every couple weeks so I've found it important to force myself to eat even if I don't feel that well (of course I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're vomiting or if you really think eating will make you vomit bc the loss of nutrients and the dehydration caused from it is much more severe than what you'll incur from simply not eating). Drinking plenty of water should help as well. When our body is dehydrated it can cause the intestines to create/put out more acid into the stomach. For some people, their body produces excess acid bc they don't put enough acid into their stomach. I know, sounds weird right? But, if there's not even a little acid coming in from food (and on top of that the intestines not producing much acid bc he's on a PPI and that's what they do block acid production) there's nothing to break down the food you eat and so you get what they call " sour stomach" which will also cause horrible bloating, pain, discomfort etc. It may help to eat something with a little acid (and some vitamins as well) to help get the intestines to stop producing acid- the natural way.

To ask for a prescription of Zofran (odansetron generically) from his doctor may do some good for times when its unbearable. It's usually prescribed to chemo-patients for nausea and vomiting but my doctor and I have found it very useful, it keeps me out of the hospital since when a vomiting " attack" is coming on I simply give myself a Intra-muscular shot of it (taking pill or liquid form probably won't due much good since he'd be throwing up a lot and IM works much faster and doesn't require practice since you're not using a vein). Other than that he may want to look at his diet if he hasn't already though it may not help much, it hasn't for me anyway.

At Thu, 31 May 2012, IAS Admin wrote: >
> _____
>
>From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of
>Al N.
>Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:09 PM
>To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org
>Subject: Re: Son has severe gas pain as soon as he stands up from waking up
>
>Have you tried probiotics? I take Pearls and I swear, they saved my life!
>
>Also, with acid reflux, he needs to be sleeping on his left side. Not his
>right, not his back, not his stomach ... left side. This reduces reflux
>immensely. Aloe Vera juice also heals the stomach, as well as juicing
>cabbage and celery. I had to juice for 4 months when my reflux was really
>bad last year. I haven't taken an acid reducer since January, when I
>started the probiotics. (Be forwarned, cabbage can cause gas until your
>body adjusts.)
>
>Chewing a Gas-x or 2 before bed should help as well.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Katie
>
>> Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:02:11 -0500
>> From: tracy.joslin@adhesions.org
>> To: adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com
>> Subject: Son has severe gas pain as soon as he stands up from waking up
>every day
>>
>> Sender: spachickonwheels@yahoo.com (Julie Mull)
>> Subject: Son has severe gas pain as soon as he stands up from waking up
>> every day
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My son is 21 and he has had stomach trouble since December of 2010.
>> Started with vomiting and he is now to having severe gas pains every
>> morning upon getting up. He says when he is laying down he is fine. As
>> soon as he stands the pain is pretty much unbearable. He has had his
>> appendicts out when he was 12 laprascopically. He has had several MRIs,
>> CT scans, ultrasounds, gastropharesis test, hida scan, blood work and
>> all comes back normal,but his white blood cell count is high 12-15
>> thousand. After several hours this pain sometimes subsides,just to
>> return with a vengence the next day always. Drs cant figure out what is
>> wrong with him. Could the adhesions be causing this gas and pain and
>> bloating every morning? This is taking a big toll on him and my family.
>> I have heard that a lidocane injection might help him. Has anyone heard
>> of this and any thing he could do to help himself. I have bought him
>> every pill under the sun. Digestive enzymes ect. He is on protonix, he
>> did have an endoscopy and it was found that he has severe acide reflux.
>> Could this be caused by an adhesion also? He is on xanax as he has alot
>> of anxiety. Thank you for any help anyone can give me. I am in Fort
>> Wayne Indiana. Does anyone know of a good Dr. around this area? I
>> asked my Dr is it could be an adhesion and he said not likely.
>>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: