Update on Dr. John Semertzides: Verdict soon to be issued on termination of privileges to operate for adhesions.

Mon Jul 30 17:24:01 2012

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Teresa Franklin Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 5:42 PM To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org Subject: Re: Update on Dr. John Semertzides: Verdict soon to be issued on termination of privileges to operate for adhesions.

I am a patient of Dr. Semetzides and i think it is a shame what they are doing to him . this Dr. is the most knowledgeable Dr. that i have ever been to when it comes to adhesions . Most of these Dr. dont have a clue.He understands this deplorable diseased and i must say that he is also very kind. Im not going to say what i think is going on, however Dr. Semertzides u are the best .

--- On Tue, 7/3/12, IAS Admin <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org> wrote:

From: IAS Admin <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org> Subject: Update on Dr. John Semertzides: Verdict soon to be issued on termination of privileges to operate for adhesions. To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@mail.medispecialty.com> Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2012, 8:56 PM Sender: david.wiseman@adhesions.org (Dr. David Wiseman) Subject: Update on Dr. John Semertzides: Verdict soon to be issued on termination of privileges to operate for adhesions.

Dr.  John Semertzides is a general surgeon who, since about 1991, has been treating patients with severe problems due to adhesions.  A number of IAS members have visited him and have posted almost all favorable experiences with Dr.  Semertzides both as a caring surgeon and as one that has helped many.

Dr.  Semertzides practices at Bethesda North Hospital, part of the Tri-Health Group (Cincinatti, Ohio) which, in May 2010, suspended his privileges to perform surgery for pain due to adhesions.  Dr. Semertzides claims that he was never given a formal explanation for this action.  He says that from around January 2010 a committee was formed to investigate his surgical practice but, he claims, he was never invited to attend the meeting that led to this decision or to know who participated in this decision and the details of their deliberations.

Dr.  Semertzides says he learned that the committee was concerned that he was performing adhesiolysis procedures in patients with pain, when, according to the committee, it was not medically justified.  Further allegations that included "insolence" resulted in a suspension in September 2011 of Dr.  Semertzides's privileges to perform any kind of surgery, including for obstruction due to adhesions.  Dr.  Semertzides says that the committee has recommended to its management to remove him from the staff.

Dr.  Semertzides has been proceeding with an appeal, the first part of which took place between December 2011 and April 2012.  The second part of this appeal, involving the hospital's management board took place around June 12th and Dr.  Semertzides is awaiting their decision.

Dr.  Semertzides claims he is the victim of a "sham peer review", a procedure done quite often, according to Dr.  Lawrence Huntoon of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, and in bad faith for some purpose other than the furtherance of quality care such as silencing of whistleblowers or to eliminate competition. http://www.aapsonline.org/index.php/article/sham_peer_review_resources_physi cians/

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: