>so strongly desiring help in understanding the seasonal nature of these
>recurrences and how to prevent them. Could diet, weather really affect
>these ? Would stress be a factor? Please help if anyone has ideas for
>me. thanks.
>
>--
>jl in northern California
>

I've notice a corrallation between SBO and stress. As soon as I feel the abdominal cramping begin, I drop everything and start de-stressing using a number of methods, i.e. stop eating, hot pads on belly while lying in bed, have a hot bath and deep breathing (use props like candles, aromatherapy, calming music), have hot herbal tea, meditate lying prone. I find it important to remain calm and free my mind & body of any stress. I've had a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner mention that stress causes our internal organs/vascular system, etc., to tense up thereby contracting, bringing on partial bowel obstructions. It makes sense but perhaps not in the case of adhesions causing SBO.

Depending on how severe my "episodes" are, I can usually minimize hospitalization (NB: if I start vomiting or developing a fever, I get to the hospital). The cramping can last from 1hr to 12 hrs and always happens either late afternoon or at night (not sure why, other than I'm more tired by then!).

My doctor has given me a small dose of Demerol to help minimize the cramping pain when I have an attack but it didn't help. I now have a very small Morphine prescription (5mg tablets) and whether it's a coincidence or not, it seems to work.

As for diet affecting your condition, I'm not sure. I struggle with that too. I seem more prone to episodes during late fall/winter/spring. I wonder if the lack of fresh produce is an issue, causing more constipation which might aggravate SBO.

At the age of 12, I had a ruptured appendix & peritonitis. Two weeks later I was operated again for a SBO. It wasn't until I hit my early 40's that i began to develop partial SBO's. I've been experiencing the severe cramping for over 10 years now with 5 hospitalizations for hydration & IV pain killer (morphine) and my obstructions seem to pass on their own. However, over the years i've managed to minimize hospitalization by relaxing more and not panic at the onset of cramping.

I wish there was a way to prevent these episodes but I haven't found it as yet!

--
Sharon from Canada

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: