Re: abdominal pain

Thu Jan 5 20:31:04 2012

I can't imagine having had 140 surgeries...wouldn't even think it was possible but guess it must be.

I too had a hysterectomy 13 years ago because I got tired of some gynos insisting that fibroids were the cause of my pain and IBS-type symptoms. I knew at the time fibroids were not the issue- they just made me bleed very heavy and pretty much non-stop. I told the surgeon right before I went under to please look around while he was in there- I was basically sacrificing my uterus and cervix in the hopes that he would find the REAL cause of my issues but don't think he bothered as he was several hours late due to having to deliver a baby and he was actually running when he finally arrived. He was the same way at follow-ups- obviously did not want to talk to me. Plus, it was a vaginal hysterectomy which maybe wasn't the best way to view much anyway? I has previously had a myomectomy which definitely caused a lot of stubborn adhesions.

So obviously, this surgery didn't help me either and I also got more issues from it- sciatica and vulvodynia on my left side- must be either nerve damage or maybe sigmoid adhesions as when I have incomplete evacuation the problem seems to be on the left side.

I assume you are in the upper midwest, as am I. I too have been to Mayo at Rochester and they don't seem to deal with adhesions- can't find much on their website about them and have heard from other patients who hoped for help with their adhesions that they had no luck there. I might consider trying them again if I can choose the GI doctor that I think is best. I find it so hard to believe that when investigating for GI motility issues- which IBS is pretty much said to involve- that adhesions aren't considered as a possible cause of motility problems when everyone knows what they do in other areas- like frozen shoulder! I was at least glad to see adhesions listed as a possible cause of SIBO in the book, 'A New IBS Solution'.

Wish I could help you find someone in our geographical area who was willing to deal with adhesions but after thousands of hours of searching every which way I can, I've come up dry. I did know a patient who had adhesiology nearby a few years ago but she only got a couple of weeks of relief. And with your surgical history I imagine you'd have to go to one of the few experts whose names I've seen here, none of which are in our area. The ones that come to mind are a Dr. Cook in California, a Dr. Gerhart in Pennsylvania, and a Dr. Redan in Florida. But after 140 surgeries, I don't know what they'd suggest!

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: