Re: Any news on the Fibrin Glues/Products, or any success stories?

Sat Feb 26 19:51:53 2011

I had another surgery in Pittsburgh last august and supposedly the surgeon used something to try to keep the adhesions from growing back into the pelvic area. I don't know what he used though, I need to get my records to see if it says what he used. I haven't got to even go back for follow-up all these months later (it's a five hour drive) as I have been too sick as I got c-diff after the surgery and am just now getting the right treatment for it since it took all this time to get it diagnosed. Whatever he used I really don't know that it's helped much as the pain has not lessened any at all, sadly. Once I do find out I will report to the group. Dawn

Sent from my iPhone - from dawn

On Feb 20, 2011, at 3:42 PM, "IAS Admin" <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org> wrote: From: david.wiseman@adhesions.org (Dr. David Wiseman) Subject: Re: Any news on the Fibrin Glues/Products, or any success stories?

Now truthfully, I am not a big fan of Dr. Redan and never have been there. He has been using various sprayers but there is no mention recently about patient outcomes, etc. This is why, from my own personal perspective, I think if anyone is on the East Coast to see Dr. Semertzides or Dr. Clark Gerhart. Also, I think I am impressed with SurgiWrap,mesh barrier from Mast Biometrics (not sure of the exact name of the company.) But SurgiWrap is fixed in placed by dissolvable staples or sutures. Sometimes it does not need to be fixated in place as intra-abdominal pressure holds it in place. You can contact various surgeons to see if they use this.

--
This is David Wiseman. I can give an update on the fibrin glues as well as a
comment on some of the other items raised in this email.
1. Fibrin Glue - I was on the Adhexil Adhesion Study Group that studied a
fibrin glue product with some promising preliminalry results (see below) in
16 patients. This project is currently on hold for business reasons rather
than technical ones.
2. Sprayshield/Gel - I understand that this study was terminated.
3. Surgiwrap - this product is not
terceed or Seprafilm is.

We are working on a new device for abdominal/pelvic pain and have had some very encouraging results which we hope to publish in the next few months.

Fertil Steril. 2010 Dec 28 A prospective, controlled, randomized, multicenter, exploratory pilot study evaluating the safety and potential trends in efficacy of Adhexil. Adhexil Adhesion Study Group. Abstract OBJECTIVE: To present a multicenter, reviewer-blinded pilot study evaluating the safety and trends of efficacy of Adhexil, a novel product using fibrin sealant. DESIGN: Randomized, reviewer-blinded assessment of postoperative adhesion development in women with bilateral ovarian disease. SETTING: Gynecologic clinics. PATIENT(S): Women undergoing gynecologic surgery. INTERVENTION(S): Patients were assessed for incidence, extent, and severity of ovarian adhesions at the first-look laparoscopy (1LL), followed by standard surgical procedure. Ovaries were randomized for application of Adhexil or untreated. A second-look laparoscopy (2LL) was performed to assess postoperative adhesions. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Safety and efficacy of Adhexil. RESULT(S): A trend toward improvement in adhesion incidence was found in the treated ovaries, with 50% (8/16) of adhesion free ovaries in the Adhexil group, versus 31% (5/16) of control ovaries. Similarly, the improvement in the mean American Fertility Society (AFS) score in the Adhexil-treated group from 1LL (6.4 ± 6.8) to 2LL (4.6 ± 6.9) was observed, whereas worsening of adhesions was observed on the control side from 1LL (5.6 ± 5.1) to 2LL (7.1 ± 6.9). No adverse events or serious adverse events considered related to the study product were reported. CONCLUSION(S): A clear trend of efficacy for Adhexil reducing the incidence, severity, and extend of adhesions in laparoscopic gynecology surgery, despite the small sample size. The use of Adhexil appears safe. Further exploration of its safety and efficacy in preventing/reducing postsurgical adhesions is warranted.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: