Abdominal Swelling

Sat Aug 22 19:43:17 2009

For those with massive swelling, it adds more problems. I'm 115 pounds with a 27" waist. When swelling starts, I can go to 35" within minutes. For a while it comes and goes, then one day it's obvious it's not going down "this time". When I had surgery 18 months ago, I arrived at the hospital in maternity pants and wore my size 4 jeans the next day. I get grossly distended, the pressure on my back is extreme and many times this leads those "internal" problems in my rectum to prolapse, swell & bleed. I'm a non-smoker who has COPD, and with all the swelling under my ribcage, my lungs hyper-inflate, making breathing harder. Because I have celiac disease, my diet is already restricted but when I swell, I can only get a little soft food down. I may or may not get nauseated, there's just no place for food to go and I literally "feel it" get stuck. Occasionally something causes a distinct excruciating pain in my upper abdomen. I'll tell my husband we may be heading to ER, which is a nightmare within itself because of the looming fear of another NG TUBE! Next week, I'm going in for a "clean-up" with Dr. Jay Redan,who I consider one of the very best surgeons out there. After it's over, my pain will be relieved and I'll be able to use only Tylenol or Ibuprofen for a while! Believe it or not,if you use pain meds for pain, you're not likely not become addicted. I've used narcotics on and off for 20 years and I've NEVER had a problem coming off even after a year or so of daily use. I've never had any withdrawal symptoms whatsoever. Let me emphasize, I take the least amount I can get by with and I don't use week-ends as a reason to stay doped up. Along those lines, all three of my kids work in a hospital,(one's an ER nurse) and it is true that many seeking narcotics claim to be covered by adhesions as it is such a phantom disease. Don't get mad or defensive if a physician stays on top of your medical history and your current meds. We should want them to do that as we have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I meticulously keep track of my scripts, use one pharmacy and routinely schedule a visit with my physician rather than calling in over and over to ask for refills. In summary, while it's true that most folks who have surgery develop adhesions, it's painfully(pun intended)true that for some, it becomes a debilitating, life altering DISEASE. I should not feel compelled to justify or defend decisions I make about my health. I hope this encourages somebody to stop feeling guilty and start feeling better. God bless! Lis:-)

--
I have been on a gluten free diet for nearly 10 years now(Celiac Disease)
There is no question that it can help those with adhesions simply because
you are not putting as much strain on your intestines and digestive track.
I very RARELY ever "cheat" because I KNOW what will follow.  Days of
fatigue, bouts of severe constipation,back pain, etc.  Having said that,
unless you are a Celiac, the diet is not ideal for everyone and is hard to
follow properly if you eat out a lot or don't read food labels.  Have a
great New Year everybody! Lis:)

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: