>To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org
>Subject: SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR
>

>"...Is there anyone on this site who has one of these devices and if so, is
it >helping? 

>This is not the same as the Morphine Pump which I had at one time,
exhausted >all pain meds and became immune to them." 

Linda,

I'm not familiar with the spinal cord stimulator. However, I did do a one-week trial with the InterStim device which supposedly stimulates the sacral nerve.

I had been given the name of a local urologist by a gal who was working on a book about pelvic pain (as far as I know her book hasn't come out yet). According to her doctor, this urologist was supposedly an expert on the pelvic floor. I had high hopes when I made an appointment with him.

I was expecting some investigation and subsequent treatment options- whether it be better physical therapy than I have had so far, or a referral for an exploratory, or at least some type of pain treatment. I have been holding on to a few Vicodin from a lipoma removal about a year ago- when I get the intense, escalating pelvic floor spasms while at work it actually is 'usually' quite helpful, but no doctor I've been to for this will give me anything for pain except for anti-depressants which I tried and despised.

All he did was basically a typical pelvic exam. He quickly decided I should try the InterStim device. I did a one-week trial where I had the device taped to my lower back with a cord attached to a thing I clipped to my pants pocket that I could use to control the stimulation level. I was unimpressed.

When I went back for the follow-up to have the device removed, the Dr. wasn't even there. His assistant removed the device. She said I should try the permanent device anyway- which made me decide that the trial was just a requirement- probably for insurance reasons. She said the permanent device might be more effective. She said it would require 2 surgeries.

I decided against it.I have read of people getting infections from it and having other problems. It wasn't worth having a piece of lead inside of me. Also the device could set off metal and theft detectors. And I figured that the main reason this doctor was pushing this treatment was because he had a financial interest in it since he apparently had a hand in developing it. Plus the fact that he wasn't even present for the follow-up was a big turn-off. Just another dead-end, as usual. It also has to be prescribed on the pretense of having bladder issues since that is all the FDA has approved it for so far.

Joan

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: