SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR

Mon May 18 17:50:27 2009

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Alta Costew Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:26 PM To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org Subject: Re: SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR

Hi,   I have tried the spinal cord stimulator. It was a process to go through and not all insurance will cover it.  It is still an experimental process.  Make sure you get in writing that your insurance will cover it.   My pain management doctor really wanted me to try it so I did a trial.  The cords are implanted in the spine and you wear the controller outside of your body for 5-10 days.  I did not get relief from the stimulator even after spending 2-8 hour days in the doctors office working with the company rep trying to dial in my number.  We never found it.   Ask your doctor what he is expecting from this.  Mine thought if I got 10% relief it was a success.  Never would I make an investment in something that was going to give me 10% relief.  Also, you might want to ask what the plan is if the stimulator doesn't work.  Finally, ask the doctor what the success rate is.  Mine was never able to give me any numbers, success or failure.  Both my husband and I thought the doctor was pushing it just a little to hard without providing information.   I am not saying do or do not do this, just be informed.  I have relied on to many doctors just because they say so.  I hope that it will work but have more questions about it than answers.   My two cents.

________________________________________ From: IAS Admin (Tracy) <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org>

--
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:49:53 PM
Subject: SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of lindahalford Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 9:39 PM To: adhesions-request@adhesions.org Subject: SPINAL CORD STIMULATOR

I met with a neurologist at the Collier Spine Institute for the first visit today, Friday, May 15th.  He believes I may get a lot of pain relief from a Spinal Cord Stimulator.  It is fairly small and is inserted under the fatty pocket of the hip located just below the waist.  Jerry Lewis (comedian and spokesman for the Multiple Dystrophy telethon) said he suffered for years with pain but after getting the Spinal Cord Stimulator, he is getting relief.  It's worth a try and if it doesn't work, I can always get it removed.  At least I won't have to take pain medication(s) and if I did have to take any, it probably would be a minimal dose.    Is there anyone on this site who has one of these devices and if so, is it helping?    This is not the same as the Morphine Pump which I had at one time, exhausted all pain meds and became immune to them. 

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: