A familiar sounding story

Tue Mar 24 18:51:54 2009

I have seen a few stories like this one in the past. I believe one of them was about a soldier in Iraq who had been told he had IBS but it obviously was not and as a result he died. I can'y remember what it turned out to be.

There was also a follow-up on the network news tonight about a 29-year old soldier who died from melanoma- and it had been recorded as having been seen on one of his buttocks by a military doctor a year or more earlier but the soldier was never told nor was treatment given. On the news, they showed him when he was going to be interviewed but he died right before while the reporter was there waiting. The gist of the story (it was on the CBS evening news) was about a bill that would allow families such as this one to file a complaint or maybe sue doctors like this-currently there is a rule that families have no recourse regarding military doctors such as the one who failed to tell the patient about the melanoma or treat it. A fine way to treat our troups!

This is not specifically about adhesions, obviously. It is just another sad example of the lousy state of our current medical system- which too many of us are all too familiar with. Where is the accountability? Where is the 'care' in healthcare? I know some doctors claim to be afraid for doing things that may cause harm due to malpractice, but by the same token, isn't 'lack' of appropriate treatment just as bad?

http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/03/24/doctor-failed-to-diagnose-cancer-that-killed-patient/

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: