Re: Systemic Enzymes

Sun Mar 15 10:31:31 2009

Mark, I'll be starting "digestive" enzymes this week after they arrive. I will let everyone know how it works out.

I was on Creon 20 (pancreatic enzymes) for 2 years and developed more problems than I had to start with. I know that Creon is animal based and maybe that is why I was always nauseous, bloated and belching. I also developed gastric ulcers so maybe my dose was too high? I will never know for sure. I stopped them 3 weeks ago and the nausea subsided as well as the ulcer symptoms but I have noticed more "fullness" in my stomach after just a couple of bites of food and it is literally hours and hours before I need to eat again.

I am hoping for better results with the new enzymes as they are veg. based.

--
Katie

At Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Mark in Seattle wrote: >Enzymes are rumored to help digest or “eat” adhesion material. This is >only a rumor, but considering how much we’re all in the dark about this >stealthy condition, it may have some truth to it. You decide. There's >more evidence to suggest that enzymes can prevent adhesions from forming >during the 10 days after surgery. (see citation below) There's very >little to no evidence that they can “eat” an established adhesion. > >Citation: A. Yagmurlu, M. Barlas, I. Gursel, I.H. Gokcora (2003). >"Reduction of Surgery-Induced Peritoneal Adhesions by Continuous Release >of Streptokinase from a Drug Delivery System". Eur Surg Res 35 (1): >46-49. PMID 12566787 > >Enzymes occur naturally in the foods we eat, and provide a necessary >catalyst for the body to break down or digest proteins. Enzymes do not, >by themselves, cause a chemical reaction, so they are considered very >safe. (Don’t take my word for this. Talk to a naturopath and tell them >if you are allergic to pork, pineapple, or papaya.) Treating certain >diseases with enzymes is accepted practice both in hospitals and in >naturopathic clinics, so this is not too far fetched. > >Certain enzymes, called fibrinolytic enzymes, are well suited to help >break down fibrin, the substance of an adhesion. Two fibrinolytic >enzymes, nattokinase and serrapeptase (serratia peptidase) are often >discussed with respect to adhesions and other fibrin-induced diseases, >like arteriosclerosis. Brands that contain these enzymes include >Enerex, Fibrozym, Neprinol, Vitalzym, and Zymactive. Cost is about $70 >a month or $2500 for 3 years. > >Unlike most medicine which usually elicits a quick response, systemic >enzyme therapy works very slowly, if at all. And while that makes sense >considering the way it uses the body’s own metabolism, it requires a lot >of patience. I noticed some improvement after only 11 months, (still >waiting for more) but another woman told me that it took her 2 ½ years. >When an adhesion has sufficiently melted away, it will suddenly let go, >like an old rubber band. When this happens, the pressure will be >relieved and you will feel better. > >There are two types of enzyme therapies commonly available in a natural >health store: digestive enzymes and systemic enzymes. Labels can be >confusing and some people have walked out of the store carrying the >wrong product. Here’s a tip: Systemic enzymes almost always include the >ingredient serrapeptase. Systemic enzyme pills are also labeled as >“enteric coated.” > >Pills should be taken 15 to 45 minutes away from food. This allows a >greater fraction of the pills to be absorbed into the “system” and not >used up in the digestive tract. > >Like all adhesion research, research on fibrinolytic agents are not as >complete as we would like. Studies show that fibrinolytic agents – >among them, enzymes – can “significantly decrease adhesion formation” in >the days following surgery and one study recommended that “given the >large number of experimental studies in animals, future studies should >focus on clinical use [in humans].” (Hellebrekers et al, Fertility and >Sterility, August 2000) This endorsement has led to whispers (no written >professional claims that I could find) that fibrinolytic agents might >also be able to help break down established adhesions, as well. Of >course, I'd like to see more complete research on this, and yet, I know >that’s not likely to occur soon because enzymes are not patentable. >However, since enzymes are believed to be very safe, I think the best >thing is for people with adhesions to simply try it. Some are doing so, >and there are one or two reports of success on Internet patient forums – >very isolated reports. Maybe someone will volunteer to host an >“adhesion enzyme survey” web-page for us to report our 12, 24, and 36 >month results, much like the ARD quilt site, so we can see for ourselves >how well this works. Because, let me tell you, somehow we, as a >society, have constructed an economic system such that doctors – the >people we rely on for health concerns – are not willing to perform this >function. It seems that the incentives to do basic research are just >not there, especially for > >a)a disease that until recently, had no test, >b)a treatment that takes years to show results, and >c)a drug (natural supplement) that can’t be patented. > >If you have the patience (and the money), I recommend taking systemic >enzymes for a minimum of 3 years. But keep in mind that this must be >considered an experimental treatment for which there is little evidence, >anecdotal or otherwise.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: