Re: please help!

Mon Mar 9 11:49:42 2009

Hi Vicki,

Every doctor I've gone to (and there are many) have informed me there's no test that can detect adhesions. According to some individuals on this site, there's a Cine MRI being used in the UK and Germany that detects them. Also, a general surgeon who operates on adhesions laparoscopically can see them and lyse them. I would not want to be cut open to have adhesions lysed because the air would cause more adhesions. Of course, even done laparoscopically, they reform. Sometimes doctors have to cut a patient open if they encounter problems such as bowel blockage.

There aren't many doctors who will operate on people with adhesions because they usually reform and sometimes it's worse than before. Imagine a vine growing and wrapping around things. This is how adhesions grow.

Unless the doctor uses something like sprayshield to keep the adhesions from returning, they can reform. Dr. Redan (Orlando, FL) has done two laparoscopic adhesiolysis on me but the adhesions returned. Unless I can find a doctor who has a high success rate for this surgery, I'm not going to risk going under the knife again.

My pain is so bad that I'm now on methadone 5 mg (lowest dose) 3 per day, plus two lorcet 10/650 for breakthrough pain. I had a pain pump for several years but after becoming immune to all the pain meds, I had it removed. Pain meds cause serious constipation. My doctor gives me a prescription of Miralax. I mix it in orange juice. When taking pain meds, one must eat prunes, drink prune juice and eat lots of high fiber. I also take natural vegetable laxatives and bowel softener pills.

Don't let a doctor operate on you unless they are very experienced at lysing adhesions, otherwise, you could end up worse off. You'll find people on this site and on the adhesions quilt who will recommend surgeons who perform laparoscopic adhesiolysis.

Many doctors tell patients the pain is all in their head. They'll tell people adhesions don't cause pain. Well, I'm here to tell you, as is many others on this site, adhesions do cause pain. They attach to vital organs and entrap nerves. It took several years before I learned adhesions were my problem. I've also been to the emergency room many times over the past 17 years.

A mother wrote a book in 2007 about her daughter's experience with painful adhesions. Someone on this site recommended we read it. The book is "Doctors Bound By Secrecy," by Karen Steward. If only doctors informed us what we may be faced with after surgery, not many of us would have it. But then doctors wouldn't make money if they didn't have all these expensive surgeries.

Take care and God Bless.

--
Linda

> ----- Original Message ----- From: vicki To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 10:54 AM Subject: please help!

I have been in pain for 5 months. It's ok in the morning when I get out of bed, but when the day goes on, as I sit too long or bend too much the aggravating pain returns in my "kidney" area and around to my lower left side. It can get VERY bad by the end of the day, but if I lay down it gets better.. I have had a CT scan, xrays, urine tests, blood tests, and colonoscopy. I have been to 3 Dr's, and the emergency room 3 times for the same left flank pain that wraps around to the lower left side. They say It's probably adhesions but the ct scan and xrays don't support that. HELP!!! Can a ct scan miss this? I can relate to so many of the emails on this forum. Can anyone help me? I have a dr's apt tuesday 3/10 with a surgeon. any advice? Thanks Vicki

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.9/1988 - Release Date: 03/06/09 19:17:00

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: