Re: Colonoscopy on Friday!!!

Tue Mar 3 10:31:22 2009

The colonoscopy isn't the hard part, it's the drinking of the prep that is the worst part of all of it.  Good Luck to All.

________________________________ From: Mark in Seattle <mark7@skynetbb.com> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS <adhesions@mail.obgyn.net>=0ASent: Tues= _____________________ From: Mark in Seattle <mark7@skynetbb.com> To: Muday, March 3, 2009 11:25:40 AM Subject: Re: Colonoscopy on Friday!!!

At Tue, 3 Mar 2009, Tracy S wrote: >
>I will be having my very first colonoscopy this Friday...I'm scared to death about this procedure!!

Mark writes:

My colonoscopy was no big deal.  Most doctors put you out with a mild anesthesia, but it is possible to do the procedure with the patient conscious the whole time.  It really is not a big deal.  The traumatic part is the insult to the psyche, not the body, itself.  The more prudish you are, the greater the insult.

The worst part is the 24 hour preparation.  They ask you to take a strong saline laxative, which means you'll be spending the day before emptying your bowels.  And when I say EMPTY, I mean EMPTY.  I didn't think this was so terrible, but some in my family find this flushing period to be very painful.  Pruritus Ani can be a problem; the stool becomes much more acidic when normal motility is disrupted.

It might help if you protect your sensitive perianal skin with vaseline or zinc oxide.  (diaper rash ointment) Apply a generous amount using toilet paper and do so BEFORE you take the laxative.  Your tush will thank you.

Other options: If Pruritus Ani is a long-term problem for you, a bidet would also come in handy if you happen to own one.  ($175) Or you could get a $8 sitz bath from any drug store.  Again, your tush will thank you.

Yours,

Mark in Seattums/message.htm

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: