Re: Hype!!

Thu Feb 19 16:03:21 2009

Well, I hope you can get someone to help you. I know how frustrating it is. I went everywhere until finally someone suspected adhesions and I had surgery and I was full of them. Drs. don't listen and it is so irritating. My daughter is applying to med school this summer. She has seen what I have gone through and she said she is going to listen to her patients and try to help them as much as possible. By the way, it was a PA that told me that I probably had adhesions. When I was searching, I would give Drs. my records of surgeries, and there were adhesions taken down on all of them but I didn't know much about them but the Drs. should have if they would have read my reports. Duh! The only advice I can give is to keep searching for someone to listen and care. Kelly

> ----- Original Message -----
From: jetstamp<mailto:jetstamp@yahoo.com> To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS<mailto:adhesions@mail.obgyn.net> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Hype!!

At Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Kelly Murray wrote: >
>Have you tried a Internal Medicine Doctor?
>

> >> ----- Original Message -----
> From:
jetstamp<mailto:jetstamp@yahoo.com<mailto:jetstamp@yahoo.com>> > To: Multiple recipients of list
ADHESIONS<mailto:adhesions@mail.obgyn.net<mailto:adhesions@mail.obgyn.net>> > Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:20 PM
> Subject: Hype!!
>
> I just had my follow-up visit for a new gynecologist.
Unfortunately, I > am right at this moment kicking myself for once again falling for the
> hype.
>
> This doctor was listed as a member of the International Pelvic Pain
> Society. On the clinic's webpage, it said that his special interests
> were pelvic pain, endometriosis, and menopause. He also was listed as a
> top women's doctor for the year 2007 in a Minnesota publication.
>
> At my first visit 3 weeks ago, he did seem to listen at length but
> pretty much dismissed any ideas I had about my condition, which began in
> 1984 after an on-the-job injury which affected my lower right quadrant
> and pelvis (the injury was never diagnosed- I still wonder about some
> type of hernia or prolapse).
>
> I also gave him a 6-page timeline beginning in 1984. Since I've had
> this for so long, it is just too difficult to remember everything so I
> have it on my computer and I update/edit it as needed. This helps save
> me from struggling to remember stuff when preparing for an appointment
> with a new doctor- of which I've had many because I have never in my
> 25-year history with this found anyone who took what I said at face
> value and at least would do what they COULD to help me cope if nothing
> else, like pain meds [besides the dreaded anti-depressants-ick!] or FMLA
> papers to protect my job during flare-ups or frequent appointments. I
> also gave him a copy of a CT scan and an MRI from 5 years ago- the
> interpreting physician had no problem suggesting possible adhesions.
> Also 2 physical therapists thought I had adhesions, probably from the
> injury itself as well as subsequent surgeries. I have not been
> 'officially' diagnosed with adhesions- just have been given the lame,
> vague names for some of my symptoms- IBS and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction.
>
> Anyway, today, I experienced the all-too-familiar 'rushed' appointment.
> All he did was explain my current hormonal situtation- the beginning of
> menopause, etc. which was fine. But not one word about pelvic pain or
> anything relating to my most troublesome issues. I could tell he just
> wanted to be done with me.
>
> I have fallen for this 'hype-type' of thing before. I had the same kind
> of experience with a urogynecologist at Mayo whose articles I had read
> on PubMed. In those articles he came across as having sincere sympathy
> and interest in pelvic pain and dysfunctions women often endured. He
> barely gave me the time of day- we barely spoke.
>
> I get so mad at myself for buying into this kind of advertising- 'false'
> advertising. I'm wondering if I should bother to state my opinion on
> RateMDs.com- I sure would like to. He has only 7 reviews, all of which
> were positive alhtough 7 is not very many reviews. I have to be careful
> though because somewhere in the fine print it says something to the
> effect that you are held responsible for what you say so don't know how
> honest I'm allowed to be.
>
> Wish I could be like a woman who posted on the ibsgroup.org website. She
> has such a low regard for doctors that she said she had not been to one
> in 27 years- that was when she had her last baby.
>
> To remove yourself from the
adhesions@adhesions.org<mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org<mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org%3Cmailto:adhesions@adhesions.org>> mailing list please go > to the unsubscribe form at
http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm<http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm<http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm%3Chttp://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm>> >ms/message.htm>

Kelly,

My recent primary doctor- who I've decided to fire- is under Internal Medicine. However, she is unfortunately one of those who buys into the convenient made-up catch-all terms like IBS and absolutely will not consider adhesions.

At my final appointment with her last year, she told me to stop taking the supplements that I've been taking in an attempt to loosen things up- like Serrapeptase. When I asked her why, all she would say was "Doctors know these things". Then I said, "Then what should I do about adhesions?" She shook her head, then turned her little stool around so her back was toward me. That was the end of the appointment.

I find it very interesting that the physical therapists and chiropractors can feel the tightness in my abdomen- they don't seem to need a laparoscopy to suspect adhesions. The doctors that bother to examine my abdomen don't seem to be able to do the same. This gynecologist didn't even bother- even after reading my 25-year hostory.

I am considering trying an accupuncture guy who at least is not far from where I live and see if he has any knowledge of adhesions. He used to be a chemist and I think he's into Traditional Chinese Medicine. Will have to check with my insurance first though as I suspect it could get expensive- not just the accupuncture itself but I imagine he might have patients buy supplements which would be totally out-of-pocket.

-- I also tried AbdoTab and decided it wasn't worth anything. I also read somewhere that they promised a money-back guarantee but that when you tried to contact them they weren't available. Also, the exact location of the company is pretty remote- if I remember it looked like the company was in one country but the product came from another. Also saw other products which looked like they came from the same place but a totally different company.

I currently take Neprinol (for about 6 months now) which is very expensive. Also lycopene which I read was good for adhesions but it wasn't clear as to whether it was just good for preventing adhesions or getting rid of current ones- the article had an endometriosis basis but I asssume all adhesions would respond the same if lycopene were indeed effective. I also just started taking Resveratrol which the TV show 60 minutes did a story on this week- they made it sound like a miracle supplement but don't know if it would do anything for adhesions.

My main pain and tightness started in the lower right quadrant after an on-the-job injury 25 years ago. I've been to two physical therapists who think I have adhesions. So far, no doctor will discuss it. I have had an exploratory lap (1991), myomectomy (1991), vaginal hysterectomy (1998) and right adrenal gland removed (2006). But as I said, I'm pretty sure my adhesions were from the on-the-job injury- which no doctor can seem to comprehend! Surgery and endo are 2 causes but not the only ones. Generally, anything that causes inflammation could create adhesions.

To remove yourself from the adhesions@adhesions.org<mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org> mailing list please go to the unsubscribe form at http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm<http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm> ms/message.htm>

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: