Re: Update/Vent

Sat Feb 7 14:37:19 2009

My husband, who is extremely helpful and loving when I go through surgeries, couldn't go with me to Germany. I went through hell in the recovery process because of the "partner" I took with me. She was a nurse, retired now, but I discovered very quickly that her former patients were to be pitied. She expected me to get up right away, get off pain medications immediately even though I would have to go through withdrawal, stop whining, and get dressed! She even went to the nurses to discuss me getting off pain meds right away. After that the staff tried to placate her and I was at times treated like a drug seeker and I was emotionally distraught. I couldn't get back to Canada fast enough and hated her for months. I forgave her and now we are OK. I could tell many more horror stories about my experience with her then but suffice it to say having a loving partner is essential, and helps in recovery in spades. BTW, my doctor put me on a schedule for a successful morphine reduction that took three months. Donna J

-----Original Message----- From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Donna B Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 7:15 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS Subject: Re: Update/Vent

Dearest Alta, I have waltzed through life. Sounds great, huh? A one and a two and a three..... my "waltz" is that 3 days afer surgery is the most painful, 3 weeks after surgery the pain returns, 3 months after surgery the pain becomes more intense.

One of my (many) great surgeons talked me through my last waltz and explained that as the surgical sites heal and the adhesions reform that pain is to be expected. He advised me to keep inflammation down as best I could through diet and exercise, rest, rest some more and ride it out. As the adhesions themselves "heal" the regeneration of nerves in the adhesive tissue causes pain signals.

with all the surgeries that we have endured, how can any of us expect to feel better after a few weeks, months? The body need time, rest, nourishment to heal after the insult and trauma of any surgical procedure. When we have been stopped in our tracks by painful adhesions and have been bed-ridden for EVER and have surgery to correct things, most family members expect up to rise up from the recovery room bed and return to our normal, happy, energetic selves.

I feel best the day of surgery. The drugs haven't worn off, yet, and I am relaxed. I sleep well. My husband used to expect me to jump out of bed the next day and resume my life with vigor. HA. Many surgeries later, he finally understands that the care I take in recovery is directly related to the amount of energy I can recover and the length of time before my next surgery.

Sweetheart - you still need plenty of rest and pampering. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Best, Donna B

At Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Alta Costew wrote: >
>Hi All,
>
>Thank you to everyone who sent well wishes and prayers, I really
appreciate it.  You all have made me feel sane during all of this.  It has also taken a burden off my husband.  He tries to understand but I know it's hard. >
>As you know I had surgery three weeks ago to remove two masses
and adhesions.  I had hoped to feel better but don't.  The pain is back and I am tired all the time.  I am at a loss as to what to do.  My husband had hoped to get his energetic wife back but she hasn't shown up yet.  I don't dare tell him that I hurt because it will hurt him so much.  I want my life back.  I want my body back.  I know I don't have it as bad as some and I hate to even vent, but I am so down.  I had hoped to get my usual six month vacation from pain I get inbetween surguries. >
>I am more determined to work on the questionaire so we all might
learn something that connects us to each other.  >
>thank you guys for listening.
>Alta

http://www.adhesions.org/forums/listcmds.htm

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: