Functional cine MRI

Fri Jan 23 20:11:36 2009

Studies out of Munich, Germany (Dr. Korell, Dr. Reiser, and Dr. Lienemann among others) say that a relatively new MRI technique, called Functional Cine MRI, is quite good in detecting the presence and location of abdominal adhesions, but is of no help at all in differentiating between those adhesions that are symptomatic and those that are not.

Citations:

Andreas Lienemann, MD, Dorothee Sprenger, MD, Heinrich Otto Steitz, MD, Matthias Korell, MD and Maximillian Reiser, MD Radiology 2000 ;217:412-425, Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions by Using Functional Cine MR Imaging: Preliminary Results

Sonja Buhmann-Kirchhoff, Reinhold Lang, Chlodwig Kirchhoff, Heinrich Otto Steitz, Karl Walter Jauch, Maximilian Reiser and Andreas Lienemann, European Radiology, June 2008, Functional cine MR Imaging for the Detection and Mapping of Intraabdominal Adhesions: Method and Surgical Correlation,

The experience of most patients on Internet forums continues to be that there is no test for ARD. Many of us have suffered from a lack of a diagnosis. But now that these German studies have been published, perhaps this new MRI technique will be utilized more.

Comments? Is this the breakthrough we've been waiting for? I'm afraid I've never heard of this MRI technique. I don't know what the "cine" stands for. The wikipedia article about Functional MRI is aimed at brain function and says nothing about abdominal structures.

--
Mark in Seattle

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: