Study published regarding procedure used to reduce adhesion formation during laparoscopic procedures.

Sat Jan 3 10:12:39 2009

A study published in the most recent Journal of Surgical Research shows that the use of heated and humidified carbon dioxide (rather than the traditionally used cold air) during laparoscopic procedures reduces the risk of adhesion formation. Dr. Jay Redan and his colleagues at CAPPS have been using heated and humidified carbon dioxide during their surgical procedures for some time; displaying their pursuit and practice of cutting edge medical techniques necessary to provide the best care possible for their patients.

Here is the introduction to the article published...if you would like the full article emailed to you, please let me know. I continue to promote Dr. Redan and CAPPS because their treatment of me has been so successful. In no way do I intend to say other doctors are not successful in treatment of adhesions. I only promote what have personally experienced. I have been through many doctors and surgeries and have not found success until going to CAPPS.

Heated and Humidified CO2 Prevents Hypothermia, Peritoneal Injury, and Intra-Abdominal Adhesions During Prolonged Laparoscopic Insufflations Yuanfei Peng, Ph.D.,* Minhua Zheng, M.D., Ph.D.,*,1 Qing Ye, Ph.D.,* Xuehua Chen, Ph.D.,† Beiqing Yu, Ph.D.,† and Bingya Liu, M.D., Ph.D.† *Department of General Surgery, Shanghai Minimally Invasive Surgery Center, †Institute of Digestive Surgery, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China Submitted for publication September 19, 2007 Background. Insufflation with standard cold-dry CO2 during laparoscopic surgery has been shown to predispose patients to hypothermia and peritoneal injury. This study aimed to compare the effect of prolonged cold-dry CO2 insufflation with heated-humidified CO2 insufflation (3–5 h) on hypothermia, peritoneal damage, and intra-abdominal adhesion formation in a rat model. Materials and methods. A total of 160 Wistar rats were randomized to undergo no insufflation or insufflation with cold-dry CO2 (21°C, <1% relative humidity) or heated-humidified CO2 (37°C, 95% relative humidity) for 3, 4, or 5 h. Core body temperature was measured via rectum before and during insufflations. Peritoneal samples were taken at 6, 24, 48, and 96 h after treatments and analyzed with light microscopy and scanning electron microscopy. Intra-abdominal adhesions were evaluated 2 weeks later. Results. Core body temperature significantly decreased in the cold-dry group, whereas it was maintained and increased in the heated-humidified group. Scanning electron microscopy and light microscopy studies showed intense peritoneal injury in the colddry CO2 group but significantly less damages in the heated-humidified group. Increased intra-abdominal adhesion formation was observed in the cold-dry CO2 group, while no adhesions were found in the rats insufflated with heated-humidified CO2. Conclusions. Heated-humidified CO2 insufflation results in significantly less hypothermia, less peritoneal damage, and decreased adhesion formation as compared with cold-dry CO2 insufflation. Heatedhumidified CO2 may be more suitable for insufflation application in prolonged laparoscopic surgery. © 2009 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Key Words: laparoscopy; carbon dioxide; insufflation; heat; humidity.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: