Re: looking for help

Tue Dec 30 14:01:22 2008

I have been with many different doctors over the 19 years that I've been dealing with adhesions and bowel obstructions. In the past, the doctors were more likely to go in with a scope to "check it out" and then do the lysis of what they could get to. Sometimes, that procedure backfired and I ended up with a fully open laparotomy and bowel re-sections. After 30+ surgeries in the last 19 years, my last procedure was in May 2006.

The surgeon I used applied "Seprafilm". Its apparently is in 12" sheets and he wrapped every foot of the intestine to try to prevent the scar tissue from adhering to the bowels and other organs. So far, I've had intermittant pain, but only in the past 6 months and it's controlled without narcotics..I use Tramadol.

This is the longest time frame I have EVER gone between obstructions or surgery. I feel very blessed to have had this time and I can only account for it because of the separfilm and my wonderful surgeon Dr. Marc Brand at RUSH University Medical Center in Chicago. Surgery does lead to more adhesions, however if they are so bad that it interferes with your daily life, then you need to consult a surgeon that will listen to you and believe in you and your pain.

Best of luck to all of you that struggle with this. Its a long, painful road, and the only thing worse than the physical pain is the emotional roller coaster of always anticipating another obstruction and even worse, having no one, including your family believe you are in so much pain. Support is so crucial to people like us. That's very important Alan...she needs your support!

Happy Holidays.

--
Have a fabulous day!
Jeanne

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: