Adhesion Hell!!!!

Fri Jul 11 19:45:34 2008

My name is Annmarie Volpert. I am 32 years old and as I have read, am not alone in the "adhesion hell". Eight years ago, I had my son and had to have an emergency c-section and that's when my hell started. After having an abdominal infection, I started to experience horrible pain and constant bleeding, so the doctor I was seeing suggested and performed a laparoscopy, when he accidently hit a major blood vessel and I bled internally. I then went to see another doctor and he tried everything to stop the pain and bleeding, but nothing worked.

My doctor told me that if I wanted to have any more children, to do so soon, as I would most likely require a hysterectomy after childbirth. I was able to get pregnant , but had a horrible pregnancy. I had my second son, but two months later had to have a hysterectomy; I was packed with adhesions. At that time, my uterus was adhered to my abdominal wall. I wanted to leave one of my ovaries untouched because I didn't want to have to take hormones for the rest of my life. One year later, I had another surgery because my remaining ovary adhered to my bladder, which meant I required a complete hysterectomy and thought to myself, "What else could possibly be wrong? There is nothing left inside there; I must be crazy".

In January, 2005, I needed another surgery with seemingly everything being cut open. This time, my colon and small intestines adhered. My doctor, who has been great through all of this, obtained 'seprafilm' and used it for my condition. I thought that this would work, but four weeks later, I was in pain again. I wonder if will this ever end.

I am now up to eleven surgeries and question HOW MUCH MORE CAN I TAKE??

I have now had 2 surgeries in a week and this time just from my lap I had last week I had adhesions on my small and large intestines, my bladder adhered to my colon and a hernia. I unfortunetly was cut open and am so depressed as they had to cut me vertically and today just had the 40 staples taken out. My job is totally not understanding and told me before the surgery that it was unacceptable to be sick and use all my sick time when it is only half way through the year. We all need to do something to spread the word people don't understand our condition what do we do???

Annmarie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: