Fentanyl Patches and Actiq - Some questions

Fri Jun 20 20:50:14 2008

From: adhesions@adhesions.org [mailto:adhesions@adhesions.org] On Behalf Of Michele E. Ward Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 10:08 PM To: tracy.joslin@adhesions.org Subject: Re: Fentanyl Patches and Actiq - Some questions

I was on Morphine for 4 years. 8 months ago I wen off of them, and I have to say I am in less pain now. The morphine or narcotic make you  constipated, and that makes you hurt more....My adhesions are just as bad but I am in less pain without the medication, To go off of them was the best decision I have ever made...

carynlruzich@comcast.net wrote: You absolutely develop a tolerance to medication over time.  That's the problem with narcotics.  Once you start on them, you have to continue to increase the dose if you stay on them any length of time.  Narcotics are not a long-term fix.  They are a short term treatment option or an end of life thing.    I can't tolerate narcotics for any length of time due to an ileostomy, so I use heating pads or warm baths or hot tubs.  Floating in my pool also can relieve my pain.  The act of stretching your insides out and soaking in water seem to help me as much as pain medicines.  I also can't wear form fitting clothes.  My pants or jeans have to be very loose, nothing tight around my waist.  I even cut the band on nylons when I have to wear them.  My underwear are a size or two bigger than I need.  Everything I wear has to be loose.  Lucky for me I work at home and don't have to get dressed everyday.  I also wear alot of casual dresses.   Best of luck to you,   Caryn     

> Sender: DWRon@aol.com (Ron/Barbara Paul)
> Subject: Fentanyl Patches and Actiq - Some questions
>
> Wanted to know how high a dose of the Fentanyl patch and Actiq can be
> safely given to someone who suffers from tugging pains. Does the body
> develop a tolerance over time?

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: