>was able to convince him to leave the dosage alone. In spite of this
>issue, I do feel like he is trying to look out for my best interests and
>maybe increasing them any more would be dangerous or useless (I don't
>know as he never answers my question of why not). Can anyone give me an
>idea of whether this is a particularly high level and whether I should
>fight harder for an increase? When they were at a higher level
>previously, with a different pain doc, it was the only thing that helped
>the pain at all.
>Thank you so much - I would be lost without all of your help!
>Debbie

Dear Debbie: If you are still not getting pain relief, you have the RIGHT to have it increased/changed. Are you taking the Extended Release Oxycontin at 40 mg. each pill? I take 2 Oxycontin: 1 in morning and 1 12 hrs. later. It looks like you are taking 3 pills a day, and at 40 mg each, that is a bit high. I take between 5-8 Oxycodone 15 mg. pills a day for break-through pain. I also wear a Fentanyl patch, 150 mg. and change it every 48 hrs. (patches can be many different strengths: 25 mg., 50 mg., 100 mg., etc). The Fentanyl patch keeps a steady level of medication in my system at all times. On the other hand, when you take a pain pill you wait 20-45 minutes for it to kick in, it works anywhere from 2 hrs. to 4 hrs. before the relief starts to fade and you have to take more pain pills!

There is no 'cure' for adhesions. I may be on pain meds for the rest of my life. I accept that. I am a diabetic and I will have to take medication for it for the rest of my life. It's the same thing. It's important to take the least amount of pain meds as possible to get relief because your body will develop a tolerance and the strength of the meds will have to be increased over the years.

If you new pain doc ignores you, refuses to answer your questions and doesn't believe you are still in pain - WHY are you still seeing him? Your previous pain doc sounds more in snyc with your needs - any chance you could go back? Please remember, you did not choose to have adhesions, you are not at fault, and you do not have to feel guilty or shame or embarassed. I found therapy helped my depression and gave me coping tools. Just don't give up! light, love and peace, Sheri O'

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: