Good News/Bad News

Fri Nov 30 17:44:54 2007

Hi everyone! I'm new to the Board, although I have been reading the posted messages for a little while now, which I have found very helpful - thank you! I have a long history of endometriosis and adhesions and, like many of the people whose posts I have read, I also have a long history of difficulties with doctors (either not believing me, making the pain worse, etc.) Some recent events (good news/bad news) prompted me to post to this board to (hopefully) give some of you some hope and also to see if anyone had any feedback or suggestions for my bad news.

First, the good news. I was recently approved for disability for my pelvic pain and adhesions without a hearing!! I was completely shocked, as I had heard that approval without a hearing was almost unheard of. I just filed all the paperwork and had to follow up with some of my doctors so they would send the required documentation and that was it. I just thought that maybe this would be encouraging for those of you who are still going through the process. I know sometimes it can be a long, frustrating road but there is hope!

Now, the bad news. I have been in constant pain for the last couple of years and for years before that had pain on and off (but mostly on). I just had my seventh laparoscopy and, thankfully, my surgeon did not find any endo but he did find many, many adhesions. Apparently, my colon, both ovaries, uterus and both tubes were all adhered to my pelvic wall with dense adhesions. He freed everything up except the left side, because he said he was afraid he would do more damage. Unfortunately, it has been almost six weeks since the surgery and, not only do I not feel better, I feel worse. This is the same thing that happened after my surgery in 2006, where they also found significant adhesions. I am at a point now where I don't see the point in having any more surgeries. They only seem to make the adhesions worse - which I have heard is common with adhesions. I am on a high level of narcotics right now, which I don't want to continue for many reasons, which I'm sure you all are familiar with! My pain management doctor has suggested two possible options. One is to have surgery to implant a device that delivers morphine and, according to him, because it is going directly into the bloodstream (?) I can be on a much lower dosage. The second option would be to ablate the nerve endings in the area. I'm not too crazy about this option b/c if, god forbid anything else went wrong, I'm afraid I wouldn't know about it (to get treatment) b/c I wouldn't feel it. I haven't really been able to do much research on either option yet but I was wondering if anyone knew about these procedures and could offer any advice? I just don't know what to do anymore.

I also just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being part of such a great support system - it's so nice to have people who truly understand. I hope all of you are doing as well as possible.

Thank you so much for reading my very long introduction :) Debbie

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: