Necrotizing Enterocolitis and Pregnancy

Mon Nov 12 07:56:41 2007

Hello, I had Necrotizing Enterocolitis as an infant (27 week twin preemie in 1983). I had my Ileo Cecal valve, terminal illium and 10cm of my colon taken out. They reconnected everything and I have had no problems since! Five years ago I had my gallbladder taken out after I had gallstones. They surgeon hoped to go in lapriscopically, but, due to the adhesions from the NEC, had to make an incision. Since my scar from NEC goes straight accross my belly, it was convenient enough to use the same incision for the gallbladder operation. So, I have lots of adhesions. I do not get any kind of pain unless a)I somehow stretch my abdominal area a whole lot or b)I press on certain parts of the scar; because of this, I know I have thick adhesions. I am now 24 and at the age where many people are getting engaged, married and/or getting pregnant. Naturally, pregnancy is in the back of my mind, although it is a LONG way down the road. I am just wondering if anyone knows about getting pregnant with such adhesions, and if so, is it going to be incredibly painful? Also, is it dangerous at all to stretch a scar that goes accross the belly so much? If the adhesions are very thick, will this make pregnancy more difficult, in terms of room for the baby? These are all quesions that have been on my mind, as one of my best friends is currently pregnant.

Please let me know if anyone out there who had NEC or any other kind of abdominal surgery knows the answer to these quesions. I realize asking my doc is probably the quickest way to figure it all out. I just thought I would post to figure out my exact questions.

Thanks. Monica

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: