Re: Long term disability

Mon Oct 1 20:05:42 2007

>Do not be surprised at how long SSDI takes to get approval.....

I have to second this comment, even though I've yet to recieve mine. I'm in Washington state where the average turn around time is between 3 and 4 years, apparently. I applied in October 2005, and it took until January 06 to be fully registered - pushing my 'actual' application date to 1/06. SSI, is sort of a federal welfare for disabled persons and in my case, my spouse would have had to have earned something like 600 a month or less in order to qualify. I know in many cases it's hard to imagine you can't qualify for assistance after you've lost your income,but I'm actually thankful that we didn't qualify, that we were not that bad off...you know? My first and second denials were at the state level (Disability Determination services) and came pretty quickly. According to the Social Security Administration, the soonest I'll get a hearing date is sometime in or after July '08. I have an attorney to worry about getting it pushed up. I know it seems like an easy application to fill out, but it could be more than worth your while to get assistance from a disability attorney. Especially if you'll be dealing with any Long Term Disability Insurance, through an employer, for instance. (Still fighting that one too.)

Hoping everyone has more pain free days! Jan

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: