Re: Acitq

Sun Jan 8 15:39:42 2006

Hi Ann Marie, Gosh, it's been so long and sorry for the lapse in response. I've had surgery again, and this time I've done much better than before. I think I told you about Cedar Sinai. Wow! What a refreshing change. My room was like a motel room and had two large bay windows, my bed, a private bath, a full length couch, a large table and three chairs, and a guest bed which my husband was encouraged to use as he needed. The staff were at my beck-and-call every 20 minutes, whether I called or not, and my call bell was never left ringing without an immediate response. Can you imagine? Every

single staff member, from the doctors to the housekeeping staff were very accommodating and genuinely concerned. My surgeon was fantastic and I had the smallest post op scar that I've ever had and also weaned down off the pain medication much quicker than ever before. I'm still on the morphine pump, but not for pain. I'm weaning down off of it slowly and will be seeing

the Cedar Sinai Pain management clinic on Monday to talk about going off the

pump and back on to oral medications. I'm hoping for Methadone and wean down

to completely off. I've just gotten off the TPN and am trying solid foods already. I've never been able to eat this soon after surgery, but am also using the tube feeding along with solids. So far so good, however, when my stools get even slightly formed, the pain strikes again. We'll have to see how it goes as I wean down further. I really want off, but am objective about not wanting pain, either. I've (we all have) suffered too much pain to

pass it off. I'm sure I'm apprehensive about it too, but I'm sure anyone who

has had the kind of pain we all have would also find themselves not wanting to get to the point of no return before doing something about it! I hate being that way, but accept it, all the same.

I know what you mean, Ann Marie, about family watching the stick. My husband

got to where he'd see one of the sucker sticks somewhere and see "I'll sure be glad when we never see one of these again!" He really cares, though, and hates that I have to go through so much. He takes time off work when I'm having a really bad day with vomiting and not eating, so I sure can't complain, but I can relate too about the pain meds and how the family responds sometimes. I've gotten where I take the stick off too. It's just easier not to even have to see their faces.

I haven't heard from the insurance yet, but should hear soon about them covering the Actiq. I don't want to get back on it since I had so much trouble getting off. I guess a year and a half is too long to just quit cold

turkey.

Well, I pray for you all and thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. That's about the best we can do for each other...besides having all the empathy in the world. Love to all...

Rebecca

>----- Original Message -----
From: "International Adhesions Society" <tracy.joslin@adhesions.org> To: "Multiple recipients of list ADHESIONS" <adhesions@dns.obgyn.net> Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:21 PM Subject: Acitq

> Sender: Ann Marie Endres <blueis88@optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: Acitq
>
> Reba,
>
> Wow is the only thing that seems to come out of my mouth when I read about
> the withdrawal from the Actiq. As I stated before, I am on only 400 mcg.
> I
> do not seem to have any of the same issues as you do when it comes to
> withdrawal. I wonder if it has to do with the Methadone that I am on. I
> know they use Methadone also to help people get off other narcotics.

Enter keywords:
Returns per screen: Require all keywords: